VPI Scout or Michell Technodec?

So, let's say you have about $1,800 to spend. Would you go for the the VPI Scout with the the Dynavector Cartridge or a J. Michell Technodec with Rega RB-300 arm and a Grado Platnium cartridge?
crazy4blues
Just a bit of an update. After 53 hours of overtime, I was able to buy a used Gyro SE with rega rb300 arm and a temporary cartridge (Sumiko Black Pearl)--$1,200.

So far, I'm very happy with the results--and that's just after about a dozen or so sides. Things will probably continue to "settle in." I am running a modded VTL 2.5 phono stage, and this combination is oh-so-musical. Lots of authority in the mids and lowers.

The next step will be the cartridge. I just wonder, "how low can I go?"--in terms of output. My phono stage provides 60 db of gain (plus whatever my linestage adds--probably about 15, if that). I would really like to try the Shelter 501 (.3 mV ouput, I believe). Would that be okay? Any comments are welcome. I don't want to get into adding any step-up qizmos. Anyway, I have an email into VTL, but who knows when they will write back . . .

Okay, thanks, all, for your insight and encouragement. I'm enjoying vinyl again!
Crazy: Congratulatons to your Gyro SE. I might have to wait a little longer to upgrade my Tecnodec to a Gyro....

My DL103 has an output of 0.3mV, for which I used the 63dB setting on my Dino stage (actually the lowest MC setting the Dino has). The 70dB setting was too much in my system. What also made a small difference in loudness was changing the loading impedance from 100 Ohm to 1 kOhm. I don't know what other people use as their setting so it was good in my case that I could play with different ones. From my limited experience I would say 60dB is enough for the 0.3mV Shelter

Might be worth starting a new thread to see what amplification and loading other people use for the Shelter 501. By the way, Crazy, are you considering the new Shelter 301 as well? I am hoping that some people will try it out and report in a thread.

Rene
Crazy4blues,
I suspect that 60db before your line stage will be plenty for a 501, unless you have a VERY low gain line stage.

I have a Shelter 901, similar output to a 501 (.1mv more). The 67db of gain I have before my line stage is much more than sufficient. I rarely turn the gain control past 9:30 or so, 12:00 would blow the house down.

If you do go with a Shelter or other lowish compliance cartridge, look into whether Twl's HIFI Mod can be fitted to an RB300 somehow. It might take some ingenuity due to the arm's non-symmetrical bearing structure. But it's worth it.
Crazy... I have the Gyro SE with Shelter 501 - which I believe is .4mV not .3mV. I any case, it has plenty of gain with my Plimius M14 phonostage (60dB gain for MC) and Lamm LL2 preamp. Another tweak I tried with the gyro is to use very stiff springs and washers under the armboard in place of the solid spacers. This allows infinite adjustment of VTA and azimuth (even while the record is playing if you're careful!). I've been warned by Gert that this could intoduce some noise in the arm as springs can "sing" but the only singing I have heard is coming from me as I listen to my LP's.
Hi, all. Thanks for all of your suggestions. I got a really good deal on a .9 mV Benz Micro Glider, and it's doing a great job right now. There's more than enough gain; my records play louder than my CDP, which is the first time I've ever experienced this phenomenon. But I'll go ahead and stick with this set up for a while. My system is supposed to be "Budget Minded," so I know that my back end probably is not totally up to the front end--but it's still pretty fun. No, there's no need right now to start hunting for the perfect cartridge. The Glider is performing really well right now.