Help me discover some new music...

Hi, Gang,

My rig is finally at a level that I don't feel a great need to invest in new gear. Rather, I'm looking for new music to discover. I feel like I'm listening to a lot of the "same old stuff."

I listen to mostly rock and pop, with a little orchestral/soundtrack music thrown in and a bit of jazz, too.

Here's what I know and love:

Steely Dan (including Becker and Fagen solo efforts)
Sade
James Taylor
Beatles
Dire Straits
Bonnie Raitt
Eagles
Paul Simon
Some classical Chesky LP's
Joe Jackson
Ingrid Michaelson
Chicago
Basia
Blood, Sweat and Tears
Earth Wind and Fire
Supertramp
Queen

,,, and a lot of other things I'm not thinking of right now.

Anybody want to be my "Pandora" and suggest things I should check out? Great music is primary, but great sonics also appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
rebbi
Gentlemen:
Did you read the OP's list? I am familiar with everyone he listed, except possibly, Ingrid Michaelson. Love them all. But, most of these people are done, or pretty much done. So the question is, where and who are their replacements? The NEW Stones? Motown? Blues? Elvis? Dylan? Miles? The fact is, that was a golden age that has ended. I, and some of you, were lucky to have been at the right age during that era. But it's over folks.

NOW, if the OP likes the current stuff, then he is a lucky man. He has something to look forward to. I only have maybe a new greatest recording of some Beethoven or Brahms etc.... Or maybe a new release in SACD.
Maybe someone will find a long lost Monk tape. Maybe Sonny Rollins gets a new burst of creativity. Maybe!
Cheers
Just look back in this music category to find many threads related to your quest. I've found plenty there.
Rok. There's not going to be a replacement. Rock was a new genre for these bands. They set the bar. Do you really want more of the same old same old?

Many of the artists you mention we're influenced by American blues artists. The musicians of today are influenced by so much more. Since the 60's the music scene has changed for the better thanks to artists like Paul Simon, Peter Gabriel, David Byrne etc. (and countless more). If it wasn't for David Byrne I wouldn't know a thing about all the amazing Brazilan artists that fill my home with music. If it weren't for ACDC the Alabama Shakes debut album may have never come to fruition. The Rolling Stones best album 'exile in main street' would have never been recorded had it not been for musicians like Sonny Boy Williams and Howlin' Wolf. Can you see how this plays out? If everyone tried to copy Three Dog Night and Bob Dylan we'd all be falling asleep to cover bands in front of our stereos. Move on my friend. I don't want to come across as being a jerk but you could stand to follow this thread if you're still listening to The Doors and The Who. They had their moments in music history and that's exactly what it is. History.
If you've never heard it: Thelonious Monk's 'Monk's Music'. Just my humble opinion, of course. Great intro to Monk with John Coltrane and Coleman Hawkins (and Gigi Gryce and Art Blakey come to think of it). Everyone should know a little Monk. It's central to knowing jazz.
Donjr:
Could it be possible that all the great art has already been created? That there is nothing left to say. Think about that for a moment. I didn't mean to imply that I think current performers should just play the same thing as their predecessors. But there is no greatness. It's all bland. No game changers. It has all become 'visual'. How you look and act is more important than what you are 'saying'. And it is not limited to music. Hollywood is not spared. Where are the great classical composers? Ballet? Opera? All the great art being performed today was created by people long dead. Seems as if the older actresses have a lock on the Oscars, and with good reason! i.e. British Babes.
When PBS wants to raise money what show do they put on, the old guys from the 60s. Way pass their prime, but, more popular than the current crop.

I get what you said about music evolving from the previous generation of artist, but we have a break in that chain now. If Sonny Boy and Wolf led to the Stones, what have the Stones led to? I think some of the so-called genres, are actually evidence of the lack of talent. Metal, anything with the word 'comtemporary' in front of it. i.e. blues, gospel, country jazz, Blue grass. Just watering it down so the current group can excel. Did I mention Jazz?

I wish the OP well. I am just saying, maybe a Look back, is the place to start. It's cheaper and will be more rewarding musically, in all genres save Classical.
Thanks for the post.
Cheers