Best Phono Pre for Teres

Well after reading and listening I finally bought the Teres
340. Triplaner arm and ZYX UNIverse cart.- What do you guys rec. for a pre- I was thinking of the Lamm, Audio Research ref.,or whatever else you guys can recommend- I am using a all tube system- thanks,gary
bebop86
I am using the Teres 265 with the Graham 2.2, Nightingale, and ARC PH5. The PH5 is very close to the Ref. Phono. This is a great combination.
Hello,

You don't say what you are using now and what you would like to improve on. For 3-dimensionality and decays that just go on and on, I have found the Aesthetix Io to be unbeatable. This is especially true when you change the stock Sovtek 12AX7s with Telefunkens. The Io has 70+db gain without a step-up transformer. It has a wee bit more noise than the BAT VK-P10 I owned before but the BAT did not have the fullness in the mids.

The BAT also had capability with 70db gain but used a step-up transformer. Contrary to other statements made about step-up transformers, I heard a very subtle degradation in resolution when I tried this with the BAT. I was using the Koetsu Rosewood Sig cartridge at 0.6mv output which was happy with the 55db setting so I did not need the added gain of the transformers but I was eager to hear what it might bring at that time.

So if your budget is in the $2k range, try to get a listen to the BAT as an all-round performer. For the $3k range, the Io is simply awesome. I have not heard the ARC Ref Phono but these are rarely on the used market so that must imply something. There is much prasie about the new PH5 and this appears to be quite an attractive price. The other unit to keep your eyes out for is the Counterpoint SA9. Michael Elliot was a master in preamp and phono stage design.

John
hey guys - thanks for the responses- I am not using any pre now- I have decide to get back into vinyl, do it once ( hopefully!!) and do it right the first time-Any way What about the Audio Note ? I used to have the M6 pre and liked it - How about an M7?- Also Jfox I think you are talking about the Rhea for $3- the IO (used) is still around $6-8-I guess I would like to stay in the $6,000 or under category- thanks for the help- gary
Dear Gary: Read this:

+++++ " Btw, in my opinion this analog audio stage is the must extremly critical for the quality/accuracy of the music/sound reproduction in any audio system. " +++++

You really can't do a serious/liable tests/reviews of cartridges with out a top performance phono stage, that has to be: low noise, low distortion, impedance versatile, extreme accurate, etc...

We have to remember that in this single stage we have to reproduce ( mimic ) exactly ( inverted RIAA equalization ) the signal that comes from the cartridge ( that in theory is what was record in the recording process and that comes with the RIAA equalization standards. ) and any deviation from this RIAA equalization do big changes to everything about.

I know that any single deviation on any link of the audio chain, do severe changes on the quality music/sound reproduction, but in my opinion and when we are talking about analog reproduction: nothing is more important that our PHONO STAGE. "

If you really cares about music/sound reproduction you can 't do any mistakes with the phono preamp: this is not a matter of money, this is a matter of know-how and care about music. Unfortunatelly any tube phono stage fits the audio standards on this critical stage, they can't, they have heavy limitations. Take a serious look to the link that I already give you.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
I have a ZYX Airy 3 with the silver base. I have been using a K&K Audio phono stage (which is essentially an Art Audio Vinyl reference phono stage) It costs around 2k and is a hybrid tube/jfet design. IMO you get the best of both tubes and solid state by going this route. It is phenomenal - both highly detailed and extraordinarily musical; the only part of my system that I have no intention of upgrading.
Before you buy anything else, you owe it to yourself to look into this. Check out K&K's website and do some research on Audioyasylum.

Cheers,
Jay Bass