SACD 2...for those who have not heard

Bad news as far as I am concerned, just what we don't need.
http:/www.highfidelityreview.com/news/news.asp?newsnumber=19363192
ears
Boy, I have to agree with Kana813, it's far from over. I tend to see DVD-A marching forward technically while Sony is always reacting to the DVD-A camp, constantly trying to out maneuver them. Besides, 99.9% of the recording studios do all their recording, editing and mastering in LPCM. And 24/96 or 24/192 sampling is all the rage. SACD is nowhere in sight at the recording and mixing stages. Accordingly, except for a few obscure exceptions, what I see is a choice in PLAYBACK technology, not recording technology.

Sonically, I'm not sold on SACD playback either. At first I thought it was great thru my Sony 9000-e DVD/SACD player. Good bass, great midrange. But after a couple of months extended listening I found myself bothered by a certain something in the high end. A thickness & lack of "air" that made the presentation less involving. What really shocked me was when I compared the CD layer of about a dozen hybrid SACDs played back on my Muse Model 9 Signature to the SACD layer on the Sony. I always prefered the CD layer thru the Muse, especially in the high end. More open, transparent with noticably more air, detail & delicacy. I got exactly the same result when auditioning a 777 and SACD-1. Interestingly, when I compared the 9000 with the Muse using some Classic Records DADs, I got a closer result. I still much prefered the Muse but the Sony sounded more integrated and coherent when playing back the DADs.

This was a couple of years ago, but it left me thinking that there is a problem with SACD in the high end. Smooth yes, involving ...no. I actaully prefered CD in the high end and definately prefered the DADs over the SACD format at that time (and within the context of the equipment I had available though).

I can't wait for Classic to release the new disks!
The more I think about this thread the more I think this SACD2 could be a good thing. I am guessing that for any digital medium to become 'viable' it will have to have mass market apeal. So what if SACD & DVDA sound better (closer to analog) if you can't go into a record store and be overwhelmed with choices. Who would have guessed only five years ago that almost every house, apartment, trailer, hell even alot of SUV's would now have a DVD player or two. Therefore video & multichannel in my opinion are the key to wide accaptance and popularity of the medium (along with backward compatibility to Cd players at least initially). The fact that high end customers get greater resolution recordings is just a bonus.
I am probably in the minority, but I have chosen to buy a Richard Kern modified SCD-1 that works wonders for both CD and two channel SACD formats. The DVD player in my home theater setup includes a DVD player that supports multi-channel SACD. When I upgrade the DVD player, I hope to find a reasonably priced unit that supports both DVD-A and SACD. Any additional capability added to either format that doesn't reduce the quality of the audio is OK with me. As far as backward compatibilty, I trust that Sony understands the need to maintain the trust of those who have already adapted this new format. I cannot afford and have no intention to attempt to put in place a surround system that equals the quality of what I now have in place for my two channel stereo playback.
Jeff
Jeff
If Sony doesn't make SACD 2 backwards compatible with today's machines then they lose my business. I have no problem not supporting a company that doesn't support the customer. Luckily I have the Pioneer 47a so the machine won't be a total waste...
Rumor has it from Audio Revolution, that SACDII is a rumor..... Let's wait till September to see what if any thing actually happens.. At this point ANY theory is just speculation based from a rumor.