Were to go after a Rega Planet 2000?

Hello,

I have a planet 2000 and enjoy its sound. I like its tone, PRAT, timber etc... but I want more of it. I find that the Rega lacks authority when playing. It still sounds like a CD player (and a CD player at that) but not live music. I want something that has the good qualities of the Rega, but just expands on them. I want a player to take control and give me music which leaves little to none to complain about.

I really like my friends Wadia, but I simply can't afford one.
I love the way it portrays the music.

My budget is $750-$1000 plus what ever I can sell me Rega for.

I have been suggested the Sony DVP-9000es. From what I have read it is reasonably priced and sounds good. But it's a Sony, and I am unsure about it.

I will consider everything, my only request is no tubes. I think they are better served in the preamp. Thoughts and opinions welcome.

Cheers,
Nick
nickway
A Sonic Frontiers SFCD-1 can be had used for about $1,000 (it listed for $3,750).

It is a truly excellent CD player by most anyone's standards.

It uses tubes in the output stage. Were you once electrocuted by tubes? I can think of no good reason to be against tubes in a CD player or a DAC (on the contrary, they almost always help to make digital sound more like music).
Raquel

It's not that I have anything against tubes. I like them. But I am going to be upgrading my Blue Circle CS to a BC21.1 pre and BC24 power amp at some point.

If get a CD player with tubes, I would have tubes in the CD/pre/power.
Adding another set of tubes, would make the cost of replacing all of them even more expensive. And with tubes in both amps I don't think I would need some in my CD player too. Not that it would be a bad thing again. I am just try to keep the cost somewhat down.

Hope this helps to explain.

To everyone:
Can anyone else out there offer a comparison between a dAck! and any other high end players or converters? I think I would like to try a dAck! once my finances allow me to do so.

Cheers,
naim audio cd 3.5 with a flatcap.all of the planets attributes plus more muscle.
I was where you are at a few years back. My NAD 502 that I loved died, so I looked around, tried a Planet. Then Moved up to the Planet 2000. Then Sold that and bought a Wadia 3200 transport Supported by a Theta DAC. Sold that and what did I end up with? Another NAD 502. The sound/price just can't be beat. If I upgrade, I will probably buy a used Audio Research Transport" they're down freeway from me" and wadia DAC. Maybe another brand that I have yet to hear.lol.
Hey Nick,
Just to summarize some of the cross-posts and you
favouring a Wadia like voicing in the DAC. The dAck introduce no phase artifacts in the time domain and would probably more mirror Wadia products which accept a slight roll-off(measured) in the frequency domain. In terms of perception, I do not miss it but only noticed it at the beginning. The flip side is that my previous DAC now sounds bright to me.

M. Crespo is using a Rega Jupiter with his version 2.0 dAck and says that it compares favourably against the likes of Museatex and Tri-Vista. Not too shabby company!