cdp digital volume control or preamp?

Hello Gon'ers!
I am currently running my Music Hall Maverick SACD player, which has a remote volume control (digital) directly into a Sonic Frontiers Power 2 amp. It sounds very good, but I wondered if I would get better sound going through a good pre-amp. What do you all think? Some suggestions for pre-amps that match well with my existing gear would be welcome, too.

Cheers.
tfkaudio
Hello,
As a follow-up, I thought I'd let everyone know that my Blue Circle BC 21.1 pre-amp is in. The sound is way better than the digital volume control on the Music Hall Maverick, and it's not broken in yet.

Cheers.
Hi Lousyreeds1,
No, I didn't. I thought, if the the prices for good ones were high enough to put me close to the price range of a good line stage, so why not just get a line stage? Even though I only have one source, I can now add another, if I want.

Cheers.
It is incorrect to say that a digital volume control necessarily loses information. One would need to look at exactly how a digital volume control is implemented, but one way would be as a stepped attenuator (pure analog) with the mechanical switch replaced by electronic ones, or digitally actuated relays. Everyone "knows" that a stepped attenuator is better than a pot. The notion that digital volume control is accomplished by dropping bits is plain wrong.