Phono Preamp and Cartridge selection

I have on order a new VPI Prime turntable. It will be used with a Mac MA-6600 integrated amp and a set of Revel F-30 speakers. Do I go tube vs SS? Looking for suggestions for MC cartridge and phono preamp. Hoping to be in the $2500-$3000 range. Thanks.
rkbcpa55
If you can get a Cadenza black for $250 more than a 2M Black, RUN and buy it asap!
However, the list price for the Ortofon Cadenza black is almost $2000 more than the 2m black! [not $250!]
The Quintet Black is a low output MC (rated at 0.3mv) with an MSRP of $1K.

So, given a cartridge + phono stage budget of $3K, would it make sense to spend $1K on a LOMC and $2K on a phono stage? Or would some other distribution of funds provide more sonic bang-for-buck?

In theory, the lower mass armature of a LOMC enables superior responsiveness to groove modulations (compared to HOMCs or MMs). This enables faster rise times, increased amplitudes and reduced overhang, IOW, a sound that's cleaner, clearer and more dynamic (micro- and macro-).

That's the theory. If you have a sufficient budget and choose your equipment well, it can certainly be a reality.

However, there's a catch and its a big one. Equalizing and amplifying a signal as low as 0.3mv and doing it well is neither easy nor inexpensive. It's the most challenging amplification task in any audio system.

Further, with LOMCs you need to get into impedance matching. Unlike MMs and HOMCs, which are all designed to play into 47kOhms, every LOMC cartridge performs best with a different impedance at the phono inputs. The optimal impedance for any given LOMC is further impacted by all the downstream components in the system. This requires adjustability and/or custom matching of phono stage to LOMC.

A phono stage that can do the above tasks well is costly. The one mentioned by Bpoletti is above your entire budget. Mine's more than double that. Etc.

Unless you're extraordinarily lucky, you're unlikely to find a high level performer for the demands of LOMC playback for $2K or less. Therefore, if you bought a Quintet Black (or any other $1K LOMC), you'd be unlikely to hear its theoretical advantages.

OTOH, you've already got a very good MM cartridge. You could put your entire $3K budget toward a phono stage. That would allow the 2M Black (or any similar cartridge) to sing at pretty near its best.

Finally, cartridges are consumable items, particularly the inexpensive ones. Phono stages are (or should be) a long term investment.

Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse. I see many newer vinylphiles caught by upgrade-itis and pouring money into the components in the wrong order. Until your table, tonearm AND phono stage are up to snuff, spending big on an LOMC is a risky decision that often doesn't pay the hoped-for sonic dividends. Buying a better phono stage (or table, or tonearm) always pays off.

Dougdeacon,
Thanks for you insight. Having just ordered a new table in the VPI prime and also have a good MM cartridge I agree the next step is a good phono stage. And your recommendation would be?