B W 802N how much power?

802N are on the way....currently i have a Levinson 335
250 watts/8 ohms... do we find that is adequate...i have heard mixed comments...
128x128rocky
I powered my 802N with a Classe 200 for a while but I always felt there was a little something missing in the bass. I ended up getting a Classe401 and found that little something that was missing in the bass. Interestingly enough, I had a conversation recently with a dealer I know who sells both Classe and Levinson. I really love my Lev.380S preamp and wondered if I should try to sell my Classe and get a Lev. 336. He thought that would not be a good idea. Lots of lost money for no clear gain. I suggest you listen to the 802Ns for a few months with your 335....you will be happy. Then when you are ready, look for a more powerfull amp ( at least 400W ) and try it. I have a big living room for mine, and I suspect that has something to do with the extra power making my bass deeper.
After hearing these speakers with Krell 200c and 250Mc amps in a very large room, I think you have plenty of power to get familiar with the N802. If after a couple of months you are happy in general with the Lev sound but longing for additional power it might make sense to demo a second 335 in a verticle biamp scenario.
I am driving my 802s with Sonic Frontier Power 3s which is rated 220watt/ch. I find this power to be more than adequate. Don't forget that 802s are very efficient speakers (8 ohms). I have heard them being driven by a Lab 47 amp which I think is rated something like 7 watts, and I was blown away by the 802s' dynamic and its full bass performance. I don't know what type of music you listen to, but I have never turned my CAT preamp pass 9 o'clock on the volume knob (starts at 6 o'clock). These are my 2nd pair of 802s, I think they are really great speakers for their value and sound quality. Email me if you any question with these speakers. Good luck.
I have my N802's in a 14x15 room with an 8-11 ft. vaulted ceiling that is open at top extending into another 10x25 ft room. I was using a Classe CA300 which had more than adequate power, probably a little too much as the soundstage was humongous, very open and dynamic. I also used an older Classe DR8 which at some 100W had more than enough power but not the same ease or bass extension of the larger amp. My desire was for a more intimate soundstage and harmonic balance that I hear through my Cary system. I didn't know how much power I would actually need from a tubed amp and settled on a power rating of about 100W. I purchased a VAC PA 100/100 used and find that it will play as loud as the big Classe except I sacrifice extension at both the very top and bottom in exchange for a lush midrange and fuller bass that I believe only tube can accomplish. So my final opinion would be that 100W solid state or 50W tubed would be sufficient depending on the size of your room and how loud do you want it. By the way the peak level that read on my Ratshack meter at the listening seat 10 ft away has been 107 db with the big amp and 103 with the VAC. This to me is very loud. Normal listening I usually peak at low to mid nineties with the average spl's in the eighties.
Give your levison gear a try. It might be enough of what you are needing, in terms of power. I originally had mine set up with a pair of Aragon Palladiums, which are rated @125 watts into 8 ohms. After hearing a friends 801s with a pair of Bryston 7bs, I ended up making the switch. The power difference was immediately felt,and my overall listening enjoyment improved. Just a footnote. The 802s sounded great with the palladiums, They just kick ass with the 7bs.