Lowthers - Please educate a village idiot...

Hello.

Despite me spending way too much time and effort on audio, and having two systems where one would do most normal people, I will, at some point in the future have a third.

My favorite uncle has a Williamson circuit tube amplifier which he built from a kit. He is a Marine who served our country valiantly during the roughest stretches of WWII(Guadalcanal, Solomons, etc.) and is a proud man. This system would become my remembrance of him.

Everyone thinks his stereo is an antiquated piece of junk, but when he saw my eyes and enthusiasm light up when he told me about it, he was just as happy as I was. He found a taker to pass along his treasured amplifier, as he is now to the point where he sees the end of the road in front of him. To have someone view him passing along this piece of him as an heirloom rather than something which should have instead be left at the curb swells his heart with pride and honor.

In order to do him justice, I want to give this amplifier a system which provide it with its proper level of importance. I have been toying with the idea of building a retro style system around this piece, albeit with a CD player.

The idea I have is to pair the amplifier with a pair of Lowther Medallions. The speakers would be done up in black, with maybe a tan grill at the mouth of the horn. A 1950s look to be sure.

The only issue is that I have no experience whatsoever with the Lowthers. And, more specifically, the Medallion.

Would someone please be so kind to educate me as to the Lowthers. I realize they are not for everyone, and I don't even know if they are for me. But, many have told me that if you fancy them, they are just pure magic. Some have even told me that it is the closest speakers to live even after all these years. Also, as I try to live by the mantra about not buying speakers I haven't auditioned(unless a KILLER deal comes along) are there any outlets for me to go give them a listen? I live in the Philadelphia, PA area.

Thank you all for your help,
Joe
trelja
Hey, uhh....

I dont want to butt in here, but would fostex really be a good choice for this?

Its nto the quality of fostex that im thinking of, but seeing as how we were FIGHTING the japanese during WWII, and it this is to be a "memorial" system for your grandfather, maybe using japanese made equipment would kinda.. i dunno.. seem improper???

Honestly, seeing as how he was in WWII, and built this during his time as a marine (thats the impression i got) it might be a little more proper to only use equipment from the Allies, and shy away from anything german or japanese.

I know you want this system to sound good, but there is supposed to be a statement behind this that is more important than sound...??

Then when somebody sees this retro style system, you can show them that this is an amplifier built by your grandfather with all vintage gear from the allies of which your grandfather so proudly served in WWII

just my two cents...
Well I really dont know what to tell you about your audio needs.

But I couldnt let this thread pass by.

I really admire what you are doing for Uncle, and it touched my heart. Some folks live an entire life without passion. Personally I feel a life without passion is no life at all. I have to say your Uncle is indeed blessed to have you as a Nephew. It is obvious that not only does he have passion but so do you. I can only hope that at the end of my life I haved passed a bit of my passion on to someone else.

My grandfather served years on the eastern front during WWII. Although he talked little of the war, I can remember his story of the "Battle of the Bulge," well. Please thank your Uncle for his service and sacrifice to his/my Country for me. I wish I had thanked my Grandfather but he passed somewhat suddenly.

Sorry that I dont have any advice on your audio needs. I am confident that some fellow A'goners will.

I just wanted to write a few lines to say that what you are doing is great and I hope that it works out fabulously.
I have Lowther DX4's that your welcome to audition. I'm about 1 hr away.

Drop me an email if interested.
Uhh, I just realized i misread that, this is your uncle you are talking about... well... Replace every "Grandfather" refeence with Uncle in my past post.... it stil works.. hehe
Aside to Slap: If the amp is stereo, it was built at least a decade after the end of hostilities with Japan...

Trelja, I too like the Heresy's, but whether you go Lowther or whatever, if I were you, I'd really consider adding a turntable front end to complete the picture...OK, end of my $.02 :-)