No Bi-Amp but tubes for Maggies -- can it be done?

Someone please either put me out of my misery once and for all. Is there a tube amp that will drive Magneplanars (1.6 or 3.6). Most listened to are female Jazz vocals. If can get some real expert input I'll give up the dream and move on to the best cat coffins I can find or plunge into the world of electrostatic/ribbons. Thanks as always.

F7
fathom7
Gullahisland- What seems to be your problem? He did clearly say
The Atma-sphere is NOT a ribbon tweeter eater.
I assume he meant either not eater. I have a great understanding of the English language and how to use it- appreciate your insight though. I don't think you could be further off base with your statements and yes I will defend my statements when they are clearly misunderstood(for those who have been around for a while I sort of feel like Carl_e here!). I don't care how long someone has been in this hobby there's always something new to learn, I don't claim to know everything, heck I don't claim to know much!. Any other comments? or am I still just digging myself deeper because I can comprehend what was said- either way I handle it, trust me ;)
Gullahisland is on the money. I'm quite capable of distinguishing between "either" and "eater" and can spell both. You assumed that I was an idiot, I'm not. I believe the well-mannered move at this point would be to apologize for an ill-considered assumption on your part.
I own the Magnepan 3.6 and have run them with the Atmasphere MA-1 mk2 with and without a Zero autotransformer; the Atmasphere MA-2 mk2 with and without the Zero autotransformer, and the Wolcott Presence 220 with and without the wideband transformer.

The Atmasphere MA-1 or 2 sound remarkably similar when used without the autotransformer in that there is quite a bit of midrange bloom with a slightly softened bass, treble and microdynamics. Harmonic richness is aplenty. I suspect that the output impedance of the Atmasphere causes a shift in the frequency response of the speaker that emphasizes the midrange.

With either the MA-1 or 2 amplifier, the insertion of the Paul speltz Zero autotransfomer will yield a very balanced, detailed and dynamic sound spectrum that retains the harmonic infrastructure that the Atmasphere is so known for, yet without the midrange emphasis. There is a liquid flow to the music spectrum, especially noticeable through the midrange, that will arrest one with how real it sounds. It encompasses a musicality that eludes the Wolcotts as well as all other amplifiers that I have tried on the 3.6s. It is in this configuration that one discovers the true meaning of "grainless". Even very good amplifiers such the Pass series exudes an ever so slightly strident flavor to the music that detracts from the musicality. Almost too squeaky clean I would say.

The Wolcotts are also excellent amplifiers. They sound very tight, dynamic and also clean. Frequency spectrum is full and extended. The sound on the Maggies was essentially the same with, or without the wideband transformer (this wideband feature is primarily for electrostatic speakers such as the Soundlabs). Although I liked the Wolcott, it never made an impression on me that the Atsmaphere did. I think it lacks a bit of harmonic richness (not bloom in this case)that the Atmasphere has in exactly the right amount. The Wolcott sounds like it is almost too much in control of things. It just does not let the music flow quite like the Atmaspheres do.

I could live happily with either, but I prefer the OTL. I do not play music loud so, things may be different if I let'em rip. I did notice that turning up the volume seem to cause the Atmasphere to struggle while the Wolcotts became ever more comfortable and, more dynamic. But, this is a moot point for me becuase I don't play it loud.
Tireguy - Would it have helped if he hyphenated the phrase "tweeter-eater"? Maybe a pictograph would be more helpful.

Tweeter-eater, as in "Peter, Peter Pumpkin-eater..." I'm a bit of a meat-eater, myself. (Carnivore...get it?)

Holy crap, (or should that be hyphenated as well?) you're quite the sensitive one. For the record, Greenman is the party who was misunderstood.

And yes, you are digging yourself deeper. Luckily, you can handle it though, right? ;)

On a positive note, I now know, definitively, whose advice to ignore.

As you said "...there's always something new to learn." Might I suggest that you take your own advice and learn when to keep your proverbial mouth shut?

You were wrong. You're still wrong. Trouble is, you're too prideful to admit it.

"You LOSE! You get NOTHING! Good day, sir!" - Willy Wonka

The only thing left to do is set the Everlasting Gobstopper on Mr. Wonka's desk and the Chocolate Factory will be yours.

Just apologize and be done with it.

BTW - Sorry, Greenman for stepping in the middle of your post.
Nice post Nealhead, your experience far exceeds mine. I enjoyed the comparison with the Wolcotts which I've never had the chance to audition.