Merlin Mil. w/hybrid amps??

My usual amps are VTL MB-450s. They are in for repair and I have a Bryston 4B SST on loan in the meantime. I really like the low end control and extention. However, I miss all of the appealin qualities of tubes. Have any of you found a hybrid amp that gives you the best of both? Are there still compromises? Any experience that you can share is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Brooks
brooksl
I would say if amps as big as the MB-450s are not delivery the goods, you need to look at other tube amps. I've heard a few hybrids on the VSMs, and then generally do not do what a amp like the 4BSST does on the VSMs in the bottom end.

The amps I have heard on the VSMs that can do that kind of very authoritative bottem end are big OTLS and a few high power tube amps (the Joule VZN-160s and the big CAT amps). Now I realize that most folks would be happy with the bottom end a VZN-80 or the VZN-100s would deliver on the VSM-Ms, but the bigger amps have more authority, weight, and defintion in the lower registers along with the great capabilities these amps offer in the midrange and top end.

FYI, I have the latest retail price list from Joule-Electra.... a pair of VZN-100s is now $15,000 ($18,000 in musicwood). Used VZN-100s are hard to come by.... Joule's production capabilities are limited, so there are only so many out there and the customers I know who have them are very attached to them. :-)

Jim2, you are right about the VAMP.... given the way Jud builds things (allot of labor goes into the fabarication of each Joule amp), he was loosing money on the VAMP.

Happy listening,
Rich Brkich
Jim and Rich, thank you for your comments. Rich are you referring to the CAT JL2? Also, what do you think of the Tenor 150 stereo hybrid?
In regards to the CAT amps, I have heard the JL2 (stereo) amp on the VSM and just spent four days at CES listening to the JL3 (triode monoblocks) on the VSM.... either amp has impressive dynamic abilities.

I've only heard the Tenor amps on several other speakers at shows... they are certianly nice sounding amps but I am unsure of how good they are in the quality of low bass reproduction and dynamics. I'll say that in the systems I have heard them in, they did not impress me in these areas.

I know a merlin owner who has the big Atmasphere MA-1 or MA-2 (can't recall which) monoblock amps that speaks highly of the big atmasphere's abilities in these areas on his VSM-Ms (and this gent has tried a number of solid state and tube amps), so I think these amps are also worth consideration.

BTW, just to fully disclose my own self interests, I am a Joule Electra dealer and a consultant for Merlin. I am not a retailer/dealer for any of the other products mentioned here.
Jim and Rich, you both are very helpful. Jim, no, I have not heard the Joules on Merlins. I suspect that if I had I my decision would already be made. There is only one guy who I have found in Chicago who has Joule Electra amps. He has the Grand Marquis. Unfortunately, one of his speakers (Martin Logan) had to go back to the factory for repair. So, I have actually never nneard them on any apeakers.