Merlin Mil. w/hybrid amps??

My usual amps are VTL MB-450s. They are in for repair and I have a Bryston 4B SST on loan in the meantime. I really like the low end control and extention. However, I miss all of the appealin qualities of tubes. Have any of you found a hybrid amp that gives you the best of both? Are there still compromises? Any experience that you can share is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Brooks
brooksl
Jim and Rich, thank you for your comments. Rich are you referring to the CAT JL2? Also, what do you think of the Tenor 150 stereo hybrid?
In regards to the CAT amps, I have heard the JL2 (stereo) amp on the VSM and just spent four days at CES listening to the JL3 (triode monoblocks) on the VSM.... either amp has impressive dynamic abilities.

I've only heard the Tenor amps on several other speakers at shows... they are certianly nice sounding amps but I am unsure of how good they are in the quality of low bass reproduction and dynamics. I'll say that in the systems I have heard them in, they did not impress me in these areas.

I know a merlin owner who has the big Atmasphere MA-1 or MA-2 (can't recall which) monoblock amps that speaks highly of the big atmasphere's abilities in these areas on his VSM-Ms (and this gent has tried a number of solid state and tube amps), so I think these amps are also worth consideration.

BTW, just to fully disclose my own self interests, I am a Joule Electra dealer and a consultant for Merlin. I am not a retailer/dealer for any of the other products mentioned here.
Jim and Rich, you both are very helpful. Jim, no, I have not heard the Joules on Merlins. I suspect that if I had I my decision would already be made. There is only one guy who I have found in Chicago who has Joule Electra amps. He has the Grand Marquis. Unfortunately, one of his speakers (Martin Logan) had to go back to the factory for repair. So, I have actually never nneard them on any apeakers.
Brooks, I understand what you are looking for in low end control from an amp. In my opinion, any VSM owner in the market for an amp should hear the Joule OTL. It has been said many times, but it really is a special combination. And I think it will give you a reference standard for comparison with other amps when thinking through tradeoffs and benefits. You may forget all about a hybrid amp after hearing it. When I heard the OTLs at the CES in 2001 I knew I HAD to have it. I have the VZN80 and am very happy with it. Rich makes a good point about the amps but these things are all a matter of degree. It's like saying, "I like my Porsche 911 Turbo but I would rather have a Ferrari Enzo". The VZN80 was about as much I could afford at the time. If presented with the choice again I would probably opt for the VZN100. Not becuase they are that much different or better, but because you might as well for the little extra power and control. Size and heat-wise the 100s fit most rooms. When you start looking at the 160 or 220, not only does price become a major factor, but you are talking about some pretty large amps that generate a good deal of heat. I don't have the money or the room for them (my room is 14x24) but all else being equal - that'd be the way to go.

I have had my Merlins for 4 years now and they are not going anywhere. Many other owners feel the same, especially the guys with the Joule stuff. These amps will last you for the rest of your life. You might want to check with Jud or Bobby about when they will be pairing up again. Maybe they will in New York at the High End show in May? They're worth seeking out for a listen.