Avalon: are new models quite better than older ?

I'm curious if all Avalon's owners are completely satisfied with the new vented models respect the previous sealed: I know the factory point of view but I wonder if in this particular aspect -bass articulation, impact and speed- the discontinued Ascents or Radians (just to name a few) could be better than the new Eidolons or Opus... Any comment will be appreciated ! Thanks, Luca.
luke72
Luca: I am not necessarily a fan of the Avalon speakers, especially the older Eidolons. I thought the bass did not integrate very well with the midsand always sounded lean.

I am very familiar with the newer Eidolons and feel there is a large improvement in the bass region.
Jtinn, you meant the older Radians or Ascents, I presume...
Thanks for the post. I hope to read something from an owner who passed from the older to the newer models and could add a first hand opinion.
I am refering to memory of a long time ago after hearing the Ascents at one dealer in CA and the Eidolons at a dealer in NY. I found the dynamics very constricted on the Eidolons & passed on them. I never felt that with the Ascents. They were one of my favorite speakers, but at that point I could not afford them. The Eidolons (they may have been updated since) broke up at louder volumes with distortion & compression in dynamics. The other speakers in the store were much more "dynamic". There could have been a problem with the demo, but I ruled out the Eidolon for myself after that. I listen to music usually very loud.
Dgad, thank you for adding your direct experience, I think that Eidolon's owners don't feel the same, probably you have many enemies among these now...
As an Eidolon owner who has heard the speakers with a half dozen sets of electronics, I'd say that if you are looking for speakers that are tuned first and foremost for dynamics, look to something like the Wilsons. Eidolons and most of the Avalon line are more musical and laid back. I've never had any problems having more than enough dynamics for my listening tastes (from large scale classical to jazz and some rock), and they certainly have speed. In fact, it's not difficult to get the sound to be too punchy, but punchiness and impact are not specific to bass, and may characterize the mids or highs as well. Bass articulation with the Eidolon depends a great deal on the choice of electronics and cabling. The Eidolon Diamond, which is what I believe Jtinn is referring to when he says newer Eidolon, definitely has more powerful 'authoritative' bass and is notably more punchy. It also has very finely detailed treble. Be aware that the Diamonds need a reasonably large room, but they sound extremely good, as befits their price range.

I've never owned Ascents but did spend an afternoon listening to them at a store in Manhattan where they were well set up. My impressions at the time were that if anything, they were too balanced toward the bass. Sorry, I can't comment on their dynamic behavior.