Build a TT based set up for $5K

Hi everyone,

I've begun a fun and exhausting search for the "perfect" components to make my Hi Fi system. I've decided to go the turntable /2 channel stereo route.

* I would like to keep the total budget around $5K.
* The TT should be new/near mint.
* I have no problems getting "gently used" amp set up or speakers.
* I generally listen to classic rock, reggae, some classical.

TT candidates:
* VPI Traveller
* Rega P5 or 6?
* any other suggestions?

Amp: Should I go for an integrated amp and get a separate phono stage or are there any good all inclusive amps?

Speakers:
I was looking at some used speakers and came across Atlantic Technology AT1 speakers for around $1800. Any thoughts? Other recommendations are welcome!

I'm a newbie making my first foray into this really complicated and intimidating world (My head is still spinning after reading all the jargon filled reviews). I'm mostly looking to find component combos that have been proven and give me the best value. I would greatly appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks in advance,
Arjun
arjundas
Sota Star with vacuum platter, Sumiko ft3 arm and Ortofon 2c Black cartridge.
PS audio GCPH. Has remote volume so can drive amp directly.
Odyssey Stereo Amp
PSB Stratus Gold i or Synchrony two speakers.

All purchased used.
You will also need to realize that there are a number of different approaches to building a system. In general (and while some low priced speakers like Tekton have their followers), I would recommend spending big on your speakers. They will make the biggest difference. To be satisfied with what you are getting, try to audition as many speakers as possible and to think about what aspects of music are most important to you. Some people like very forward speakers (Zu and Tektons would be examples) others find forward speakers fatiguing to listen to and prefer more laid back speakers (think how in your face the sound is). This will be both personal preference and related to music genre preferences.

At $5k I might spend as much as $3500 on speakers.
My Tekton 6.5t monitors are not forward sounding and remind me of larger (and with more bass) linn tukans with a better tweeter. Speakers that sound forward to me usually have metal, kevlar or a carbon fiber drivers. Speaking of linn, I've always respected their source first stance.
At $5k I might spend as much as $3500 on speakers
What do you suppose those $3500- speakers will sound like with $1500- of electronics, cables, turntable, etc. feeding them? You would only use a fraction of what the speakers are capable of.
The best sound will come from a balanced system. A forward presentation can come from many components, the room size/dimensions or/and the recording.
Well, Zenblaster I suppose those speakers would sound pretty great with the right electronics.

If the speakers are efficient enough for them, I'd look to perhaps a Peachtree Decco or a Rega Brio-R or a Dayens integrated. Cables from Blue Jeans Cable. And then pair that with a used turntable such as a VPI HW-19, a Technics 1200, or an old Rek-o-kut.

The Peachtree, Rega or Dayens can be found for under $1000, and I have seen each of those turntables I mentioned for under $500.

I'd put that set-up against about any other combo of equipment totalling $5000.

Now what speakers up to $3500 is the question...