Woohoo & yippee

Just today I ordered a pair of Wyred mAmps from Underwood HiFi. Wow, that guy called me w/in, literally, minutes of my placing the order through Audiogon! Talk about likity-split!
I'm really looking forward to hearing these amps. Many say that they have a sound of their own, neither fully solid state or tube. Can't really imagine what that sound will be. Anyway, just wanted to share my excitement.
peleg
I predict long term listening to bear out the McCormack as the winner in this contest.

BTW, driving a passive subwoofer and your 802s seriously compromised the sound of the McCormack.

Shakey
IF you need a sub, best to use a self powered one rather than passive with most any amp.
Hi Shakeydeal and Mapman, I used the McC. w/o the passive sub for some 5+ years. I would have noticed any compromising in the sound. I think you underestimate the driving ability of the McC. I had an active sub (albeit a cheaper one) prior to getting the McC. but once I got it the bass of the sub was shown to be bloated and slow. Got rid of it. The passive being driven by the same high quality amp as the mains blended perfectly. Also, listened to the McC. w/o the sub connected for a few days before I got the mAmps.

Shakeydeal, you may be right in the long run but I'm doubting it. The improvement is primarily in that the mAmps are smoother and don't have occasional splashy highs. But the difference is not big by any means. What change there is so far is good. Besides, gotta make more room in the living room. So gotta send my much loved McC. to a new owner. I actually miss seeing it up on the stand.
More to discover