Solid State to replace Audio Research REF110?

Hello,

My power amp REF110 blew resistors and damage PCB (it is the second time), in the pass my VT100 MKIII also damage the PCB had to replace it.
I like REF110 sound but I think I should move to a more reliable solid state power amp.

Which power amplifier do you recommend to substitute Audio Research REF110 without have to regret every day?

Many thanks for the advice.
jglpubli
Mike Werner, how would you know that ARC has great customer service if you've never had any ARC problems?
Kevin ... Mike no doubt will answer for himself, but I can and will respond since I have owned ARC gear for many years and have *NEVER* had a serious problem. It is my experience that ARC has always been extremely responsive in responding to any technical issues and concerns that I had.

For example ... when my VS-115 blew some bias resisters, Kal (the ARC customer service rep) put me in contact with a local authorized tech who made house calls!! The first repair was under warranty and ARC honored it even though I couldn't find the receipt. Reason - because Kal knew me and remembered that he sold me the amp through an authorized dealer.

Kal or Len (his predecessor) patiently explained differences in various ARC equipment when I was interested in upgrading. This occurred with respect to every piece of equipment I own. In addition, Kal kept me apprised of when the factory was ready to update my Ref 5 to the "SE" version and efficiently got my unit through the factory.

Kal and Len were always helpful in answering technical questions about hooking up my equipment. Take a look at my posts about an impedance loading issue affecting my Ref 3 and 5. I had to buy a custom buffer from a gent by the name of Tom Tutay. Look up his name and you will see what happened.

Most recently, and then I'm done, Kal spent inordinate amounts of time with me when I was trying to understand impedance matching my amp and speakers. No need to rehash all of that again. Suffice to say, Kal was always extremely patient.

ARC has been around for over 40 years. Until just a few years ago, it was owned by the late William Z. Johnson who was a considered to be a pioneer and legend in the audio business. I won't tell you that every piece of ARC gear made was a winner over the last 40+ years, but way more often than not, ARC gear was at the very top of the audio food chain.

Not to say that there aren't many other fine brands. There are. But hopefully Kevin, you are a believer.

Cheers,

Bruce
Bifwynne, you clearly like your ARC gear and the helpful service over the phone, and that's great. Nothing wrong with a happy customer. However, your note actually proves the point made earlier about the reliability problems with ARC power amps. From your own experience, you know that a bad tube can burn up a resistor which requires either a trip to the factory or a visit from a service tech. Also, you imply this happened more than once.

Now, you may appreciate the friendly folks at ARC when you inquire about a breakdown, but I ask you: wouldn't it be even better not to have to call the service dept in the first place? Just speaking for myself, I would rather know that if one of my output tubes failed all I will have to do is replace a fuse and put a new set of tubes in, set the bias and then be good for many more years. Great sound and reliable performance. That's what I want from my gear.
I have owned a number of ARC amps but all solid state. Having said that one amp that has not been mentioned which may be worth considering is the Modwright KWA150SE. I own one and it is a terrific amp which has many tube like characteristics (good ones), will drive anything and is extremely well made and reliable. I compares very favorably with any of the ARC amps I have owned--much more organic, dimensional and musically involving. Perhaps worth a look/listen.
Fair comment Salelectric. Perhaps Ralph (Atmasphere), a manufacturer, or Gary (Hifigeek), an ARC authorized tech, will weigh in.

Don't hold me to this, but I seem to recall that Kal or Len once explained that ARC deliberately chose not to use fuses or auto bias circuits because the components were artifacts that could potentially degrade the sonics. To the best of my knowledge, I am not aware that ARC used such compenents in tube amps over the last "n" number of years.

I would be quite surprised to hear that the reason ARC didn't use those components was to save money. My goodness, the VS-115 retails for $7,500 and the Ref 150 retails for $13K. I'm sure that the cost savings, if any, would be chump change.

Anyway, I don't work for ARC, nor do I own stock in its parent company. But I do like the company and the people.

Cheers,

Bruce