preamp Luxman C1000 - how set up gain/volume ?

Hi. I have C1000. Quick question - there is separate "gain" knob and separate "volume" attenuator/knob. Is anyone able to explain how should I approach these two? Should any of these be used first and then second? Or what? Please help - I can not find any info....
I use C1000 with M2000 poweramp.
adam_poland
In general, you would set the gain so that your volume control operates in the middle of its range when the system volume is where you typically listen. Since most attenuators (volume) are logarithmic in their operation and provide better channel balance when not at either extreme, this will have two advantages: better able to finely adjust volume and better channel balance.
Thanks.. you know... I have source (Olive) where I can set up variable output, then there's c1000 with separate gain knob and volume knob, then I have m2000 power amp that also have volume attenuators for each channel... So to be honest I get lost what should be the drill and what is best for sound from technical perspective - as less gain as possible and max source and power amp power.. What of these all knobs should be used first and fixed on certain level.... Any advice? When I had separate Shindo pre + poweramp and each had volume control the advice was to first put volume knob in pre to eg 10:30-11:00 hour and then adjust volume in poweramp to the level of sound that is most commonly used. But with luxman c1000 with separate gain and volume I got lost. Is there any technical reason why there's separate "gain" knob in c1000 - this is quite specific solution to me, I have not seen such until know and I wonder how to use that to its best.

I can mot find original mańual to c1000 do you maybe know where I could get it from?