Distortion with ARC Ref 150 and Maggie 3.7

I have this problem that drive me nuts for quite a while. I purchased a like new fully balanced ARC Ref 150 tubes amp through Audiogon for my single ended only CAT SL1 Ultimate preamp and connected both with a RCA to XLR interconnect. It sounded okay with most recording but has awful distortion with certain recording specifically piano and vocal. Some of this recording happens almost on entire record but some only on certain musical passage. Most of the time with higher pitch or peak of music or higher volume.

For your information I listen to vinyl only most of the time and more on Jazz music. Other component listed as follow:

Turntable: Sota Nova, Tonearm: Origin Live Illustrious, Cartridge: Dynavector XV1-S, Step up transformer: Bob's Device CineMag 1131 (Blue) feeding directly to CAT's own phonostage, Speaker: Magneplanar Magnepan 3.7. Power cords, ICs, Speaker cable, Autoformer: Paul Speltz Anti-Cable.

Trouble shooting which has been done includes: checking preamp tubes condition and checking power amp bias. Since ARC claims their Ref 150 was design for balanced preamp only so I also tested by replacing it with single ended tubes amp but the distortion remain. As for the cartridge I believe I have done the alignment pretty accurate with the Mint's Best Tractor but not very sure with the azimuth.

While tested with my other 2 pair of speakers, one which has higher spec show the same problem while the lower spec one seems get rid of distortion. So I suspected the issue probably was with the new Maggie. Called the dealer and he performed a test with his transistor amp with no distortion at all. So he assumed my Maggie is okay. Is it true that the Maggie only good with transistor amps?

By now it leaves me with total confusion! Sincerely hope fellow audiophile here could give me some advice and save me from this endless misery !

Thanks very much in advance!
pakwong
Answer to Mofimadness:
"From what you describe, I think that maybe you are overloading the phono input. Make sure you are using the MM input and not the MC. If you are using the MC along with the SUT, it could very well indeed be too much gain."

Please refer to my answer to Jfrech.
Answer to Bifwynne:
"Although I am not speaking to whether the rest of you rig has issues, I have serious doubts that the Ref 150 has enough power to properly drive the Maggie 3.7s. The consequence of over-driving the amp is ... distortion. "

"Btw, if the Maggie's have a nominal impedance of 4 ohms, especially in the bass/lower midrange frequency spectrum, I suggest trying the 4 ohms taps. "

I do speculate perhaps Ref 150 not powerful enough to drive the Maggie properly. Remember I said Maggie dealer used a transistor amp to test and it sounded okay without distortion? That Class D Esoteric can output 400 watts into 4 ohms. So probably power is the issue.

Btw, before adding the Zeros, I run Maggie with 4 ohms tap with the same distortion.
Answer to Zd542:
"Try that first. Use any CD/DVD player you can find. It doesn't have to be expensive. If that doesn't work, I would try a different pair of IC's between your amp and preamp. I don't think you can switch your amp to run in SE or Balanced operation. I think it just runs in Balanced. I've seen several times where you can get a noise because of it. The solution, in the cases I've seen at least, was to use a good quality shielded IC. Any Audioquest with the DBS system always worked (providing that was the problem). Most ARC dealers have AQ. See if they will lend you a balanced and a SE IC to try in your system. You'll also need 2 adapters. If your dealer doesn't have them, you can get them at any music store. You need male xlr/male rca adapters for the balanced cable and male xlr/female rca adapters for the SE cable.

You've probably already did this, but you may want to try some different taps on you amp, both with and without the autoformer. "

It so happens that I have some AQ Columbia ICs with DBS but it just didn't work after I tried them this afternoon. I also tried with different taps with and without the autoformer and it didn't work either.
Answer to Wlutke:
You have described the distortion problem I have been working on for some time now, although yours sounds more severe. Mine was with high pitched, high amplitude vocal "air", mostly female, but piano was ok. I have the DV XX2 MK2 and also use the Mint tractor. The problem turned out to be the distance from the spindle to the tonearm pivot was off a little. A very tiny little. Because of that the Mint Tractor made me align, very precisely, to the wrong arc and overhang. I used the VPI jig that came with the arm to reset the distance. After realigning the cart with the Mint the distortion was eliminated and replaced by incredible detail. Double wow! I had tried everything I could think of for months on end. The DV carts have a well deserved reputation of being sensitive to setup error. Good luck!

This is something I never think of. Well worth a try.
Answer to Skinzy:
"I once had a similar problem and it was cart alignment issue as several others have suggested."

Although I have done this many time but I will surely do it all over again as suggested by Wlutke.