RIP Panny Plasmas

Just saw a report on CNBC that Panasonic is planning on exiting the plasma business by March 2014. Can't say I'm overly surprised but still a bummer. Hope the others aren't following suit soon.
soix
Thanks Calbrso3. When you say that, "after a few months with the tv, I can tell you the added picture controls makes a helluva difference," are you referring to those "differences between the VT and ST are small and mostly concern picture settings in the menu"?
Yes, Drubin, those controls specifically found in the custom picture mode. They offer a lot of fine tuning capability, if you're into that kind of thing--I am. Otherwise, with the exception of some minor screen differences (I believe the VT reflects less ambient light), it's IMO the same tv as the ST.
Yep Dbphd, you are right! According to the specs, my Pioneer PDP-6070 60" plasma display uses 455 watts and I can attest that it can warm a room like a powered-up Jeff Rowland Model 5 power amp. But as good as the image is on this plasma display, I have no intention of replacing it until the day comes when it breaks and can't be repaired.
I have one of the last Pioneer Kuro Plasma 60 inch display that was made. I still love the picture and would only sell when OLED becomes available in this size for a reasonable amount of money.
Nonoise is correct, Panasonic and Sony have decided to combine their efforts in developing OLED and ultra high definition technology via a joint effort. OLED's current issues are producing screens larger than 55 inches and the low (currently about 10%) yields of the long and continuous OLED panel production runs.

Panasonic decided to exit the plasma market after their engineers determined a 4k plasma would run too hot and cost too much. They are now devoting their entire engineering staff to OLED and higher definition technologies jointly with Sony. They decided the future is OLED or a similar technolgy.

Personally, when I purchased my first HDTV in 2006 I wanted a Pioneer Kuro plasma but didn't want to pay the $10k they were going for then so I bought a Sony xbr 50" lcd instead for about 1/4 the price. I've been happy with it until I read about Panasonic ending their plasma production. I knew Panasonic had gained numerous Pioneer Kuro engineers, and purchased many of their patents and technology, when Pioneer exited the plasma market in 2010. This was probably the reason Panasonic was able to become the consensus leaders in plasma HDTVs rather quickly.
I recently decided, even though my 2006 Sony is still going strong (having had a new color engine installed under warranty to prevent the dreaded 'green blob' issue), to buy a Panasonic plasma while I still could.

After reading all the reviews, numerous forums and even the entire Video Evolution HDTV shootout from May on You Tube, I went to several stores to decide if I agreed with their choices on the best HDTVs.
After viewing most of the top units in low ambiant light conditions, it was obvious to me that the Panasonic VT60 series were the clear winners. The Samsung f8500 was a close 2nd but a bit too bright for my tastes. My only problem was the 65" TC-P65VT60 I wanted was still a bit too expensive at about $3700.
So, I searched online and found a reseller, Eastcoast Tvs, that was offering it for $2,149 with free shipping and no sales tax. I know, I know, I read all the forum posts questioning the credibility and trustworthiness of Eastcoast Tvs after I ordered it. Most of these posts are accurate in stating the ECTV sales tactics are aggressive and they do try to convince you to buy various add-ons like extended warranties, wall mounts, etc. Panasonic verified via phone that they would honor the 1yr parts & labor warranty as long I registered it with them. ECTV even insisted on adding an insurance charge they say covers your tv arriving in good condition. Having been involved professionally in warehousing and shipping for over 30 yrs, I knew this was bull1sh*t. The shipper owns the product and is responsible for its good condition until the product is delivered and signed for by the buyer. Never the less, I agreed to pay the $58 charge (less than half the amount I saved by avoiding state sales tax) since I didn't want a squabble to prevent me from saving about $600 on the tv.

Fortunately, the tv was delivered in perfect cosmetic and operational condition a week later. I'm completely willing to put-up with their annoying sales tactics again if it means I will save $500-600.

Anyway, this hdtv's picture quality is stunningly good/great. I was considering buying the 65ZT60 but the 65VT60 was $100s less expensive with the identical pq as the ZT in low light, has the same 2 remotes and comes with a built-in camera.The VT was the better value.

I feel fortunate and honored to own one of the last, and one of if not THE best?, Panasonic plasma ever. I think both the VT and ZT hdtvs will be regarded as classics and reference plasma models in the not too distant future, just as a couple Kuro models have been considered the reference plasmas until these 2 2013 Panasonic models replaced them according to several prominent professional hdtv reviewers.

I'm perfectly happy to watch this awesome hdtv until OLED, or some other technology, comes along that tops the plasma picture quality. So I agree,RIP Panasonic, even though you won't be 'dead to me' for many years.
You may want to buy a Panasonic plasma while you still can. I'd suggest an ST60 if you want the best value and a VT60 or ZT60 if you want the best plasma, period.

Tim