PSB or stick with vintage ADS

I currently have a vintage pair of great sounding (to me) ADS L470s. ADS has long been my favorite speaker (since the 80s) and I've simply never wanted to replace them. I briefly owned a larger floor-standing model and a smaller bookshelf as well. So 3 different pairs of ADS.

However, now I'm considering an in-house audition to compare some PSB Alpha B1s. I may also consider the in-wall PSB CW26s. This is simply due to space considerations - I just don't have a good location now for my speakers.

Now, clearly I'm not in the high-end audiophile range. I realize that. I'm unavoidably stuck in entry level, unfortunately. But has anyone who might be able to comment on both pairs of speakers have an opinion on whether the PSBs would be a suitable replacement for a loooong time ADS lover? I don't really want to bother bringing them home if they simply aren't at least as good. Both pair receive great respect in comments, but I never see them compared due to the fact the ADS are long gone as a company. Any mention of how good the ADS are is in the context of someone obtaining them for cheap through some acquisition. Ha.

I have read that speaker tech has come a long way over the years.

Thanks.
crboone
I would be careful about giving up on your ADS speakers. They are very good sounding, and while its true that there are very good sounding current offerings in this price range, I would be surprised if you are able to accomplish much more than a sideways move overall without moving up to the next price level. Some of those vintage speakers had a certain musicality and "right" quality that many current "more hi-fi" sounding speakers don't. For instance, the above mentioned Dreamcatchers which I have as part of their 5.1 system are good and as mentioned image very well, but sound uneven tonally and are dynamically constricted compared to your ADS which can really rock. Definitely try to compare before buying. Good luck.
I should add that my personal preference is Focal speakers and the Chorus V series speakers are being discounted heavily right now due to them being replaced by a new model. Music Direct has the 30 day return policy so that could be an option as well. The 705v, 706v (i bought a pair of these for my father-in-law), or the 806v are in or close to your price range. The 807v is a bit more, but also an excellent speaker.
While I don't currently own any, I have owned and greatly enjoyed several pairs of ADS speakers in the past. I've been actually considering going back to them. Criticisms against ADS are that they are not neutral but far too bright on the top end. However, I enjoyed the brightness as it gave life and air to many recordings and it did so without giving sizzle and harshness which too many bright speakers do. I suspect the PBS are more neutral and accurate overall.

However, based on what you've said, unless your 470s are worn out (it does happen because their woofers are paper/pulp and the foam surrounds deteriorate, etc) I think you're going to be disappointed with any replacement for a couple of reasons. 1) you like the voicing of ADS and no new speaker I'm aware of is voiced similarly. Right or wrong, the ADS voice is compelling. 2) While a new speaker may be more accurate or do some things better, any budget speaker requires compromises and so you'll be trading one set of compromises for another. 3) If you're having trouble placing your ADS speakers, you'll likely have trouble with new ones too.

In wall speakers solve some problems. Paradigm makes very nice in walls if you go up to their reference line. But, while they solve placement problems, mounting speakers in a wall also causes a few problems and so they should be considered a very large compromise for convenience over performance. I have Paradigms in one system currently and put them in our previous house so I can elaborate if needed.

Best,
I have used ADS speakers for years (L570, L880, L520) and that sound is unique. Recently i have moved on to other speakers like Silverline and Focal. The bass on the ADS always sounded tight and articulate due to their sealed acoustic suspension designs so you will find a difference out there with newer ported speakers like PSB. Someone else mentioned Focal earlier as a recommendation, and i will second that because you already have a NAD amp which should be a good match. I am running Focal 806v's in a bedroom system off a NAD integrated and i think they sound excellent. Good luck in your search but don't be surprised if you stick with the 470's!

Regards,
Paul
I have owned so many ADS speakers I couldn't even begin to name them all, and have heard nothing in their price ranges that could change my mind about owning them. Currently, I own the 1290/2's with L400 surrounds in my theater room, and 1590/2's in my audio only room, all powered by newer model McIntosh equipment. I should also mention I use older Velodyne F1500 subs with both pairs. Love the sound.
I would have to take exception with one of the comments about ADS using foam surrounds, as they are actually butyl rubber and will last indefinitely. Mine are over 28 yrs old, so that speaks for itself.
If you like their sound, stick with them. They can all be had quite reasonably now from this site and Ebay.