Telarc 1812 revisited

I've posted several threads about the trackability of this record and have received many scholarly answers, with emphasis on physics, geometry, compliance, weight, angles,price and all sorts of scientific explanations about tonearms, cartridges, VTA, etc, etc. Let's cut to the chase: I have a 1970's Pioneer 540 in the garage I bought for $5 at a thrift store plus an Audio Technica cartridge for which I paid $30 This combo. tracks the Telarc 1812 perfectly without problems while my $4000 Rega and $1200 Project bounce out of the grooves.. I'd really finally like to get some explanation and resolution as to this discrepanccy
boofer
Peter, it hurts to denigrate my Landy that way, but it is what it is. Hope he wasn't listening. His ex-wife (an RX-8) would never let him hear the end of it! ;-)
Dear Jcarr: I think that the trouble ( in this regards. ) with measurements that can relate cartridge tracking abilities with distortion levels is to aisle that relationship ( for sure. ) to make specific measurements down there. Right now I can't " imagine " how to do it and not only to aisle it but how to measure and where ( example: inner grooves, different recording velocities, choosed tonearm, choosed LP tracks and the like. ).

I told you that the main subject here is to learn and not who is right or not.

I want to think that tracking cartridge abilities is important for you ( not your main target as you said it. ) and you posted some advanatages about:

++++ "
to improve the tracking performance, for example by designing a wire suspension with a longer-than-normal free length. This has the side-effect of lessening the intensity of the loads on the tonearm, which can seem to be a benefit if the tonearm has a resonance-prone mechanical structure, and can improve the tracking of a tonearm .. " +++++

so that tell me that cartridge tracking abilities is something to take care ( maybe a little with more deep interest. ) on cartridge design: going to extremes?, well that is a designer privilege.

This is my answer to that information you posted:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?eanlg&1381113244&openflup&44&4#44

I hope you really take a self challenge on the cartridge tracking abilities through your Delos design. I could think that Scan-Tech can build those 3 cartridge samples where you " can't now " which cartridge comes with wich ( 60um, 80um and 100um. ) tracking abilities.
Of course that always been there how to aisle the tracking(distortion relationship but even if that can't do it for sure the exercise I'm proposing you could give you ( and for all of us. ) some important information on cartridge design that today is not very " clear " and where could be land to explore and land to improve by design the enjoyment of MUSIC reproduction at home.

We audiophiles can't do it, we canĀ“t tweak our cartridges to improve its tracking abilities, only the designers as you can do it.

Regards and enjoy the music,
R.
Dear Mapman: ++++ " to track records designed to be an obstacle course does not mean better performance in genera.... " ++++

I posted three times here and in other threads this sentece that you certainly did not read, here again:

" EVERYTHING THE SAME "

Regards and enhjoy the music,
R.
JC, I just bought a Lyra Kleos and along my Helicon/Clavis DC , a Titan i ( from a friend ) and the Akiva one the comparison/evaluation could be " full ".

All those are part of your cartridge designs and you already know that the Akiva is the champion on tracking abilities ( at least my sample. ) even that that is not your main target ( and that comes in a plastic body. ) but it's not only a top tracker but a top quality sound reproducer/performer over other top Lyras. I will see how the Kleos compares against.

R.
The Telarc 1812 is not even a particularly good reading. If it was a tracking test, it doesn't really reflect how good a cartridge can track at higher frequencies.

It's more of a gimmick recording than much else.