speed stability

Does anyone know if using a device like a PS Audio power regenerator accomplishes the same speed stability goal as using the VPI SDS controller? I have a VPI Classic turntable and run it, along with the rest of my audio components (except the power amp), through the P5 Power Plant. Since one of the goals of the P5 is to deliver a nearly perfect 120 volts, is an SDS superfluous?

Thanks!
128x128wynnosu
The reason for using PSA, SDS or any other regenerator isn't voltage regulation but frequency control. Frequency control allows you to control the speed on tts without that capability, like your Classic. You're going to need a strobe and a disc to measure the speed of your Classic. I'm not familiar with the PSA units, don't know how flexible they are with frequency regulation.
The PS Audio devices are limited in their capacity to alter AC frequency. They were designed to supply regenerated power for any audio gear. However, if your tt is running at correct speed direct off the PS Audio, there may be little to gain by inserting an SDS. Not nothing, but "little" to gain. Unless the PSA is dedicated to the tt, you probably don't want to alter the frequency of its AC output above or below 60Hz, in any case. That might be bad for the other gear.
The spped contol of most TTs is based on teh FREQUENCY ofthe incoming AC. (as others have mentioned)
If you want the exact 60 cycle then yes a PS audio type regenerator may improve the AC frequency control.
But with no testing done it is hard to say if it really does better than the line itself? or better or worse than the average TT speed control.
The most accurate TT speed control are built in ones with a feedback servo.
Like Denon and Technics.
Post removed