Newbie question re: USB quality

Thanks to everyone who has guided me to this point that I'm able to even ask this question! I'm learning quickly about computer audio and right now using a USB thumb drive with DSD files plugged into an OPPO 105 (non-Darbee edition). I'm getting good quality sound that is certainly superior to rebook CDs.

However, I've seen it mentioned in various articles on audio websites that USB as the interface has various weaknesses. Usually, this is just stated without any mention of other options. What other ways would I be able to get audio files to my Oppo. I have a Macbook Air, but other than connection via USB from the computer, I don't know if any other way to get files to the Oppo.

Again, I appreciate your willingness to help a technophobic newbie.

Best,
Scott
smrex13
If you have a properly set up USB dac and a reasonably well set up USB server, you are fine. I have tried many if not all mentioned options on this site. I do have a sotm td-USBexp out with battery power supply but the difference is minor at best. Concentrate on down stream. My view at this point is that speakers and their set up make the biggest difference. Vinyl still RULES but HD digital has never sounded been better.
On the wireless option, the Oppo does support DLNA, which is a wireless protocol for streaming music. Your player needs to have the capability to stream to a DLNA device. I am a Windows guy, so cannot help much on DLNA with iTunes and I do not think Audivana supports DLNA. Also, I think DLNA on the Oppo only supports PCM and not DSD, although that should be confirmed.

The problems that people try to address regarding usb are jitter (timing errors), poorly formed waveforms and electrical noise from the PC. Async usb greatly helps with the timing issues, as Doogie pointed out. The timing and waveform issues are often addressed by the usb to s/pdif converters, although s/pdif has issues of its own. The wireless solution completely isolates the PC from the Oppo, so you do not have to worry about the electric issues. Some people are also concerned about RF noise effecting the usb input. The quality of the 5V signal on the usb is also an issue. I am not sure if the Oppo uses the usb 5V signal or not.

As Pkoegz says, most of these effects are second or third order once you get things set up correctly, unless you have a very highly resolving system which usually costs a lot.
HELLO!
What about AES/EBU I have found it far superior in my set up to any USB that I started with
Markus - AES/EBU is essentially a professional version of S/PDIF. It uses balanced cabling and XRL connectors. The OP has a Macbook Air and an Oppo. How can he use AES/EBU?
In line with comments above, USB is not likely to be an issue for sound quality in the OPs particular case..