want to try a SET but where to start, I have......

A pair of klipsch, I believe they are rated at 94 db.
I have read previous threads on SET, and this is what I got.
The 300b have generally the most bloom, and the 845 run closest to neutral.
The 2a3 usually come in units with anywhere from 2-5 watts

I hope I got most of the facts right.
I would like that SET magic I always here about, can get enough power from a 2a3 unit or would a 845 work better with the 94 db speakers.

I would also like the unit to be intergrated with a remote
Am I asking too much?
Any recommendations would be greatly Appreciated
Thank you for your time
italy71
I ran the 8 watt ASL AQ1005dt with 90dB ACI sapphires and it did fine except with orchestral and bass heavy rock. It really shined with Omega TS2's (94dB) and I could play it as loud as I thought practical with just about any music.

Here's an excellent illustration of just how critical synergy is with SET, and that it's not just a numbers game: In contrast to your results with the ACI Saphhires, just yesterday I plugged my Quicksilver 300B SET's into my Soliloquy 5.3's which are a wonderful floorstanding speaker with some authorative bass response that, like the Sapphires, are also rated at 90db sensitivity. My SET amps put out 8 watts at 8 ohms, similar to your AQ's. My experience of my own pairing off was that the SET amps in this case were really not able to handle any bass demands, and when the music got really complex, dynamic and or layered it sounded absolutely horrible. This is a shocking thing to hear coming from what is a fabulous pair of SET amps. Mind you there were some things it could play magnificently, creating a remarkable sense of atmosphere and presence, but those would be offset by other recordings the combo simply could not keep pace with. Now if I'd just purchased those amps, and matched them up with those speakers because the numbers made some sense, I would be setting myself up for some MAJOR dissapointment (I'm not suggesting that you implied this Entrope - just trying to share some experience here). Put those same SET amps with my LaScalas (104db) and they are absolutely wonderful! Those same Soliloquy 5.3's were an outstanding match for my 11 watt push/pull mono 10's, which really isn't that much additional power at all! But it's not SET, it's Push/Pull. The ACI Sapphires you mention are a 2-way monitor speaker. The Sol's are have three drivers to push and have a much larger cabinet with rear porting. Consequently they are moving a lot more air, or rather enough to make it just difficult enough for the SET to fall out of the realms of consideration for these speakers.

Again, the lesson here is do take care in speaker matching, and whenever possible audition with a wide variety of music. It is well worth the investment of your time and care as the righ combination is quite stunning. Another directoin you may want to consider offering similar strengths of SET in some ways with it's own unique spin, are OTL amps. Again, matching those up with the right speakers is critical as well, though perhaps not quite as demanding as the lower powered SET amps.

Marco
Italy71 - Current average Bluebook for the 300SEI (non-signature) is $2200. The low price listed is $1500 and the high is $3280. The last one sold for 2910.00. The Signature is a bit more. So I guess my recollection was a bit optimistic.

Of the2A3 tube - that tube is all about midrange! In SET configuration it puts out only about 3.5 watts so with your 94db speakers you are really at the limit if not below. George Wright's 3.5 amps are a great example of that tube well-implemented in SET form, but the weakness there is going to be in the bass department which it just doesn't do that well. Oh, but the payoff in midrange is gold. As for the combination with your speakers, it depends on how loud you want to listen. Female vocals will shine brightly with SET done right. If you are sticking to those speakers I would steer you towards a 300B tube rather than a 2A3. I've had both, and find the 300B to be more versatile and suitable to a greater variety of music. Going to Push/Pull with a direct heated tube will expand that potential even greater and still give you the midrange magic. If you are dedicated to vocals and solo instrumentals, stick with SET. That's my two pennies.

Marco
the cary 2a3 si is a 15 watt push pull,
and the 300sei is 2390 USD.
I guess I will have to grind this one over.

the cary 2a3 push pull would have enough power without lossing the liquid midrange would it not?
Thanks again
Carlo
Hi Carlo - Yes, certainly the push/pull Cary should be fine and likely would posess many similar qualities of the Mono 10's I liked so much. I can't truly give you an authorative opinion on either having not actually heard them, only read the various posts and reviews referring to them. I've owned a couple of Cary Preamps, which I've liked very much, and a good friend owns a modified SLM-70 which he uses to push his Quad 988's. I think they make fine products and their customer service, and overall reputation is excellent. I would definitely consider either amp you mentioned, perhaps leaning a bit towards the 2A3 PP design. The price on the 300sei does not seem out of line given the blue book, though you may be able to get a better deal with some patience, and make a lower offer on this one. There are certainly other options out there as well, but Cary does represent a solid investment in my mind.

Marco