want to try a SET but where to start, I have......

A pair of klipsch, I believe they are rated at 94 db.
I have read previous threads on SET, and this is what I got.
The 300b have generally the most bloom, and the 845 run closest to neutral.
The 2a3 usually come in units with anywhere from 2-5 watts

I hope I got most of the facts right.
I would like that SET magic I always here about, can get enough power from a 2a3 unit or would a 845 work better with the 94 db speakers.

I would also like the unit to be intergrated with a remote
Am I asking too much?
Any recommendations would be greatly Appreciated
Thank you for your time
italy71
Italy71 - Current average Bluebook for the 300SEI (non-signature) is $2200. The low price listed is $1500 and the high is $3280. The last one sold for 2910.00. The Signature is a bit more. So I guess my recollection was a bit optimistic.

Of the2A3 tube - that tube is all about midrange! In SET configuration it puts out only about 3.5 watts so with your 94db speakers you are really at the limit if not below. George Wright's 3.5 amps are a great example of that tube well-implemented in SET form, but the weakness there is going to be in the bass department which it just doesn't do that well. Oh, but the payoff in midrange is gold. As for the combination with your speakers, it depends on how loud you want to listen. Female vocals will shine brightly with SET done right. If you are sticking to those speakers I would steer you towards a 300B tube rather than a 2A3. I've had both, and find the 300B to be more versatile and suitable to a greater variety of music. Going to Push/Pull with a direct heated tube will expand that potential even greater and still give you the midrange magic. If you are dedicated to vocals and solo instrumentals, stick with SET. That's my two pennies.

Marco
the cary 2a3 si is a 15 watt push pull,
and the 300sei is 2390 USD.
I guess I will have to grind this one over.

the cary 2a3 push pull would have enough power without lossing the liquid midrange would it not?
Thanks again
Carlo
Hi Carlo - Yes, certainly the push/pull Cary should be fine and likely would posess many similar qualities of the Mono 10's I liked so much. I can't truly give you an authorative opinion on either having not actually heard them, only read the various posts and reviews referring to them. I've owned a couple of Cary Preamps, which I've liked very much, and a good friend owns a modified SLM-70 which he uses to push his Quad 988's. I think they make fine products and their customer service, and overall reputation is excellent. I would definitely consider either amp you mentioned, perhaps leaning a bit towards the 2A3 PP design. The price on the 300sei does not seem out of line given the blue book, though you may be able to get a better deal with some patience, and make a lower offer on this one. There are certainly other options out there as well, but Cary does represent a solid investment in my mind.

Marco
Hello Carlo, For the type of music you mostly listen to and the Klipsch speakers, I'd strongly recommend that you also take some non-commercial offer (ie, DIY offer) into consideration. If you don't listen terribly loud or don't have a big listening space, then a really good SE300B amp will do the trick. I have 6SN7/76/300B and 6SN7/27/45 amps from John Hogan and have auditioned these amps with his Klipsch Cornalls and Lascala. This 300B amp ate the AN Quests for dinner in my system and is in the same ballpark with Fi 2A3 monos & Korneff linestage combo (different flavor, that is). For around $1K, I really cannot think of many expensive commercial SETs that can even touch it. The only potential caveat I can see is whether you will like its appearance....I am getting to like them a lot. Other than that, it will probably come down to the matters of voicing and system matching. Regards, TC