The title is:"There's No Such Thing As Digital..."

Subtitled: "A Conversation With Charles Hansen, Gordon Rankin and Steve Silberman". It's an interesting read if you're not yet familiar with this particular topic...or have only considered it briefly. I wouldn't call myself a digital expert, but I can see no reason to quibble with it one bit:

www.audiostream.com/content/draft

Enjoy.
128x128ivan_nosnibor
After seeing this post, I went back and re-read the article. My conclusion is the same as when I first read it - these are some interesting topics to discuss, but they reach no conclusions and they have no real recommendations on how to turn their discussion into better sounding systems. Of course, that is mostly a function of the interview format. I would have much rather see these 2 guys (and Steve can join in) collaborate on a white paper that goes into all the currently discussed issues for why computer audio can sound different to different people and on different systems and analyzes the importance and size of those issues and how to fix them.

The whole "gray area" issue(which Hansen eventually admits is not really an issue in a well implemented system), the issue of running multiple processes on the computer, the potential of noise on the grounds, jitter (in all its forms), RFI etc. have been discussed over and over again. A lot of progress has been made on all these fronts with aysnc USB, galvanic isolation, attempts to minimize CPU usage, much better jitter control, etc. Unfortunate, it seems that after several years of figuring out many issues and addressing them, we are now stuck more in a discussion phase than in an significant improvement stage. I understand that a lot of the easy improvements have been made and many of the problems left are hard to analyze and hard to fix. Although this interview is getting a lot of attention, I do not think it moves us down the road in any meaningful way.

Personally, I am happy with my PC based system. I also know it can be improved. For me, one major question is how the issues within the PC compare in importance to new DAC technology, to new digital filters, to the use of DSD formats, etc. For now, I will enjoy my music.
Jitter is bad but I am not convinced that it is nearly as widespread an issue with most modern gear as it was even 10 years ago. YEs, there are always ways to do better, but the question is how much matters to be "musical".

I do it with Squeezebox Touch (no longer available unfortunately but a fantastic bargain while it was for <$300), a Wifi connection to a standard $500 Samsung laptop with 2 external USB drives (Wifi eliminates a wired connection from music server computer to player which greatly benefits from a noise and isolation perspective and enables most any computer to be used as music server witn no ill sonic effects) and two separate mhdt DACs connected via not expensive Audioquest Toslink digital wire, a SS COnstantine ($300 used) and tubed Paradisea ($450 used). Its hard for me to imagine how the results could be much better. The Wifi connection/isolation is key. CHoose your DAC to get the sound you like, and just experiment with lengths if needed to make sure the digital connection to the DAC is functioning well.
Mapman,

Your DAC is not only isolated from computer noise but also from all other nonsense like playback program, file format, computer speed, type of hard disk, amount of RAM etc.

The only thing you could do is to insert reclocker before DAC.
Kijanki,

Yes, I agree and have considered, but hard to justify when things are sounding just the way I want them to already. I may give a re-clocking device a try still sometime in that I am certain I could do even better. It took some time and thought to get to where I am currently. I feel fortunate I have managed to achieve excellent results for relatively small investment so far. The rest of the system makes a difference. My OHM speakers are not hard to get sounding musical to the nth degree in comparison to many. My smaller monitors from Dynaudio and Triangle are a bit more challenging in this regard, but they sound quite "musical" as well and are not my references.