CAT SL-1 MK III vs. First Sound Presence DeLuxe

has anyone compared these two components? Thanks for your comments.
frankpiet
I've had both, but not at the same time or sequentially. Personally, the CAT never did much for me. Maybe an impedence mismatch or ??, but IMO, the First Sound was a much better pre-amp in virtually every way (except no phono stage).
There's an ad for a First Sound from member PF7, and he says in his ad, "The sound and detail is on par with CAT tube preamps -- which is the highest praise in my opinion."

I've never heard the First Sound except at shows in unfamiliar systems, but own the CAT. The things that stand out about its performance IMHO are its ability to handle dynamic changes, both micro & macro, and the fact that you get a great phono stage with adjustable loading included that beats most separate phono stages under $4k.

From what I've read about the FS, and what I know about the CAT, both are excellent from an owner support standpoint, with both owners happy to offer advice on tubes, related gear, etc.

As point of disclosure, my CAT is now for sale to help me fund another project. Cheers,
Spencer
Well I have one of each,as we speak. I find the dynamics similar. I feel the CAT3 a little sweeter in the mids,on into the treble.Oh, that be a good thing,this sweeter.____However I love my remote passive Placette,which doesn't do sweet,at all.__ Or you could call me lazy. In my setup I get more and better bass with the Placette. I should mention my FS is a 1,hotrod delux with cca's.
I think that both are top units along with the Cary slp-98.I haven't owned none yet ,can't afford it at the moment.I am getting by with Magnum 99.One day I will own one of these babes for sure.One guy over at Asylum said that Cary should stop working on pre's as the nailed right on with the SLP-98.I think that speaks volumes.Soryy for side drifting.
George