Modwright SWL 9.0SE Preamplifier

I happened upon this and if the reviews are anything to go buy this is one heck of a pre. Seems the price goes up very shortly so I may want to snag one before it does. I was wondering if the house had any experience? Also to what kit do you used the pre? I was also looking for tube monos to compliment it.

Many thanks :)
seneca
I'm having great luck with the Modwright paired with my AES (Cary) Sixpac monos. Clear open sound, great decay with respectible detail. In addition to searching the threads, you can search the systems here and see what folks are using it with.
Phd...good question. I've been watching these for several months ever since reading Srajan's rave review at 6 moons. Hardly a week goes by that there isn't one, sometimes two, for sale on A'gon for as low as $1250 so far. Makes one wonder. Perhaps someone who has owned and then sold could tell us what they didn't like about it. Of course I understand that many here are never happy with anything for very long and just need to try the next hot item. Srajan seems like a pretty good source as reviewers go and a number of other reviews are equally enthusiastic.
Tswhitsel, yes that is true that some folks are never happy with anything or perhaps, like you mentioned, they want to try the next hot item, which I myself have been guilty of. In fact I've been wanting to hear the Modwright 9.0 preamp, maybe more info will be shared on this thread as to its attributes.
A friend had one and loved it but decided he wanted to get Musical Fidelity equipment and purchased the KW500 integrated amp. He waited to sell the Modwright until he was sure he would like the MF unit. I had listened to it several times and thought it was an amazing unit in his system. It was very neutral with the original tubes but you could change the overall sound by rolling tubes.

Ahhhhhhh!

Maybe, kind of, sort of the reason they are sold??

OC type owners may go nuts with the ability and freedom to roll tubes.

My friend did end up purchasing five other pairs of tubes and one pair was very expensive (Bendix, I think). He asked me to participate in a roll tube audition and after rolling them I told him I liked the orginal ones the best. Go figure!

He has hung onto the tubes just in case he needs them with a future change or something. Don't we all have those items tucked away in a drawer, closet or a spare bedroom. lol