Mac's BAD MATCH for 802D's?

I have recently purchased B&W 802D's to go with my Mac C46 pre-amp and MC352 power amp.

A very respected dealer in my area (who has been helpful to me in the past) insists that Mac is about the worst possible match for the 802's and swears I would feel "like a veil was lifted" if I instead switched to Classe, Ayre (I do have an Ayre cd player, which I love), Mark Levinson or Boulder Amp. I should note that he does not carry some of these brands so he wasn't just trying to "sell" me. I have to admit that although my system sounds very good, it's not as "open" sounding (transparent, or whatever the right audiophile adjective might be).

If anyone aware of an engineering reasons the Mac might not be as great a match to the 802's as other equipment might be?

Any thoughts on what might be the optimal AMP combination (in a $6,000- $11,000 range) match for 802's
tomehunt
Dev, I like the friends you hang around. :)

I have had the WP7's since November ('06) and I have only had one other amp setup on them besides the Mac gear and that was a Rowland Concentra II. I don't know if the CII was a bad match or what, but it couldn't hold a candle to the Mac gear; I purchased the CII planning to sell the Mac gear to offset the cost of going from the 802D's to the WP7's, but the difference between the CII and the Mac separates was huge and my lovely wife let me keep the Mac gear, with strings attached. :)

I have not heard your Andra's; where I live there isn't much around.
Brianmgrarcom, you diffently made the right choice from the 802D's to the WP7'S. I also owned that same Rowland piece when I still owned the WP7's and know what you refer to but it wasn't a bad match it's the unit. I tried it with other speakers also and was very disappointed. Rowland gear sure is nice appearance wise, if it could only sound like it looks. You have to try the Mac 501's on your WP7's, you will be in for a surprise.
Brianmgrarcom, you diffently made the right choice from the 802D's to the WP7'S.
I wholeheartedly agree Dev.
You have to try the Mac 501's on your WP7's, you will be in for a surprise.
Tell that to my wife! :)

I was surprised at the performance of the Rowland, I had one before and thought better of it back then. Interesting that you had the same setup.

Brian
I purchased an MC352 a few months ago for my 1980 B&W 801 speakers. After reading the above thread I want to say Thank You, Thank You!! As I just swiched from the 8 ohms outport to the 4 ohm outport and the improvement in sound it magnificent. I was thinking of investing in a pair of 802D but I don't think I'll bother now.

Thanks again.