Is Audio Research SP-6 considered a good model?

I'm trying to decide on how to replace my Plinius 9200 with separates. I have a 70's era SP-6 and I'm wondering if it's worth servicing and keeping, or are there other tube pre amps (Audio Research or otherwise) worth looking for used (1-2K range). Also have a AR D52B that I will definitely be replacing.

Totem Forest speakers
Rega P3
Exposure 2010S CD
leftyfox
i still use it in its original state together with wadia 581 ml 431 , i currently drive the power direct , but the sp 6 can add still some nice tuberealism very very good value www.andromeda-design.nl
The ARC 6 was good! The 6-A was better!! The 6-B was one of the best per-amps ARC made. This was right before the SP-10. After the 6-B ARC came out with the 6-C, 6-E and from then is went down to just good. The "white" sound came into the picture and the flesh and bones of the orchestra and musicians started to fade. The SP-8 is also a better model then the 6-C, 6-E.

Rick (RWD)
I agree the SP-8 is definitely a good model, especially at the used price, an improvement over the SP-6. I have owned both. The SP-10 Mk2 is even better. To tell you the truth, I still love the sound of this pre-amp even compared to new models and would trade my Supratek Syrah for one in a heartbeat, love that phono stage! I have a friend who owns one and no it doesn't have the detail or extension of other pre-amps but it really draws you into the music so you can just forget about the sound. The SP-8 also does this but doesn't quite match the immediacy, depth or bass weight presented by the SP-10.

It is easy to see why there is still interest in these models.
I would definitely talk with Steve Huntley at Great Northern Sound. The SP6 is on his list of packaged mods which means he knows the potential of this piece of equipment. Steve's a great guy to talk with and he will give you solid advice. I have nothing but praise for GNSC.

Check it out... www.greatnorthernsound.com

Mike
classic. in its day it was the consesnus best preamp.Not likely that it could compete with todays preamps. I think you should keep it un-modified. You have got a piece of audiophile history. Mate it with an ARC D79 and say a pair of quad esl 63 and entec subs.