Berning ZH270 vs 845 SET amp

After reading a recent review on Enjoy the Music.com of the Berning ZH270 amp I got the opinion that maybe it was a good substitute for a powerful SET amp. Not having heard or able to hear the Berning amp I wondered what Agoner's thoughts were.
I struggle with the thought of buying a 845 SET in that ultimately I will be disappointed by the typical SET short comings. The Berning amp still being a P/P yet OTL makes me wonder if it could be the best of both worlds.
Your thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks
Mike
128x128brm1
Mike,

I had the ZH270 in my system (multiple systems) for a while. I think I will be the lone dissenter, but I really didn't like it. I found the upper midrange to be too aggressive. I even had the upgraded cryo'd tubes. Several other friends listened to it in various systems and felt the same way. I even had David Berning check it out and he said it was working just fine. So, I am not a fan. In contrast, I've commonly been impressed with the 845 amps I've heard. I'm sure it depends alot on synergy, but it probably also depends on your listening tastes. I suppose I gravitate laid back. I like punch, I like dynamics, I like a natural sound - but I really don't like aggressive sound. I'm sure others will differ!
Hmmm,

the Berning is not rolled off and soft. It's realistic and natural. Yes I would say it sounds like a powerful GOOD s.e.t. It has a wonderful lack of glare of any kind without losing HF resolution.

I have heard a number of very highly rated tube amplifiers and would take the ZH270 over any of them.
I agree with Airwise. The only way anyone will get my ZH270 is to pry it out of my cold dead hands!
Peter s- you are not alone. I never was "moved" by my ZH-270 even though many say it is a great match for my Merlins. I thought it was a bit dull, as in flat or emotionless. I have been told by Alan B that my choice of cabling and power conditioning were big factors in its performance. YMMV.
I'm using my berning with new quad 2805 and the sound is fantastic, the best you can get.