Can a preamp's gain be lowered?

I'd like to lower the gain of an AE-3 DJH preamp to something in the neighborhood of 10 dB. Is it possible to do this without adversely affecting the sound?

My ASL amps have an input sensitivity of 1.0 v. I want to have good volume control over low listening levels. I'm afraid any preamp with more than 10 dB will force me to stay under 9 o'clock on the volume knob.
mingles
AES has been tough to communicate with. Most of my questions have gone unanswered. I'd rather not deal with that (whether it's attitude or being too busy I don't know). I can easily build my own attenuators. According to Goldpoint's website, I need 68.1K and 46.4K resistors to reduce the gain by -10 dB when dealing with an input impedance of 100K. I'll use Texas Components TX2575 resistors. I don't think there's anything more transparent available.

Thanks for all your replies. I appreciate your help.
It is funny that you have had problems with Cary (AES). Every time I called Cary and told the receptionist I wanted to talk to someone about an AES product technical support I got transfer immediately. He would look up the schematic and have an answer. One time he didn't have an answer and put me on hold for a very short time while he spoke to Dennis Hadd for an answer. I'm really impressed. (The only time I couldn't get transfered was at lunch from 12-1 EST)
Mjcmt, I appreciate your info. I've been emailing with Gerald at AES, but his replies have been intermittent and sparse. I haven't tried to call. Maybe I should have done that, but he seems either too busy to answer my questions or not interested in supplying information that doesn't directly lead to a service fee. From my perspective, I think it's a fair question to ask if resistors will be added to the signal path to reduce the gain or if the original circuit will be modified. If I sell the unit, I need to disclose any changes to the buyer.

At this point, I think my best option is to use in-line attenuators and keep the unit in stock form. I have a hunch Cary's mod would be the same thing, but tucked inside the chassis. If I use attenuators, I can change them at any point in time. A mod will be permanent.
Ask them what to do. They really will help if you call and they will recommend what mod to do inside the chassis if you want to do it. They are a bit slow on emails, but are a great source of knowledge if you call.
I just bought a pair of Rothwell attenuators with -10 dB which is perfect for my situation. I think it's the right thing to do given that I can change the attenuation myself at any point in time. Thanks again, Mark