Dodd preamp vs. McCormack RLD-1 preamp

I am interested to know if anyone has any experience with both the Dodd battery powered preamp and the Steve McCormack platinum-modded RLD-1 preamp. I am looking to replace my ARC LS3 and both look interesting and in the same relatively affordable price range.

Thanks in advance.
128x128es347

VTS took over 5 weeks to send my Amperex tubes. I hope you fair better than I did.

To me five weeks is way to long to wait on two tubes. I sent them back.
Pubul57, How do they compare in the frequency extremes and dynamics to the JJ's?
I believe the bugle boys have the little cartoon on the tubes but not on the box.
Your right the Dodd is one of the best especially when you consider the price of $2600.
It took 8 days to get the tubes. He does take longer than some, but they actually seem to be matched and quiet. My only gripe is that the prices posted on the website seems to be a few years old; he should either keep it up to date or post no picing at all. Not sure how they compare in terms of dynamics or extremes; so far it is just my oberall impressi8on of a much more realistic and beleivable presentation. I ne4ed toto go back to analyze the differences a bit more. But my gut reaction was that I defintely preferred the Amperexs, and in my system not too warm.
Guys, yes the Amperex BugleBoy has a cartooned bugle-playing character etched on the glass (orange colored). Try reading "Joe's tube lore" on audioasylum to get good info on the many 6922/6dj8s etc.

FWIW, I agree the BugleBoys are nice but a tad warm, but not as warm as Mullards. The Siemens, as well as Telefunkens are more on the transparent, cool, side.

Some preamps will highlight these differences more than others. For example, my CAT pre sounded dramatically difference w/each tube change. Cheers,
Spencer
Then I'm ptetty sure mine are not "Bugle Boy" as I think these were made prior to the Bugle Boy marketing campaign. I think Andy said they were from 1958 they year Amperex introduced the 6dj8 to the market.