Quicksilver MC Step Up Help

Just purchased a used on from here at Gon. Setup is Scout with Shelter 501->Quick silver MC Stepup->PSAudio GCPH->Preamp

No output at all, (without the MC sound is normal) Qucksilver comes with the outpur RCA cables pre-attached, I have then hooked up to the phono amp.

Coincidently QuickSilver is in hte process of relocating to California and are closed, Waiting for seller to respond. Any help is appreciated.

regards
-BisP
bpuhan
Wrong, wrong, wrong, first, your transformer will only work correctly into a load of 47K ohms; you said that you are operating into 100K ohms, but I am pretty sure that you actually mean 100 ohms, which will not work. Change the GCPH to 47,000 ohms and, if the gain is adjustable, put it at 35db or 40db, the rest of the gain needed will be made up by the transformer. Really.
Viridian

thanks for the pointer/corection,(it meant 100ohms), I will try your sugegstion later today. Once question though, even if the load and gain are not matched, should I not still get some kind of sound ?

regards
-bisP
A MC cartridge has plenty of current, but very low voltage, what your transformer does is convert that excess current into increased voltage. I do not know the output impedance of your transformer, but for the sake of argument, lets guess at 100 ohms. Now you have a 100 ohm output impedance working into a 100 ohm input impedance on your PS phono stage, more or less, a matched load. This load is just great for tranmitting current, but oops, as we found in the first part, we don't want to transmit current, we want to transmit voltage, and for that we need as low an output impedance as possible, driving as high and input impedance as possible, for maximum voltage transfer.

As to your question of would you hear any sound at all, I think that your actual experience answers that part of the question.