Simple System for a Super Senior?

I'm wanting to put together a system for my 80+ year old dad. The requirements of the system (CD, AM/FM) are: under 2K (used OK), easy to operate, remote comtrol, small foot print for speakers, cool running. The tonality should probably error on the side of brightness, as there's some hearing loss involved here. Considerations to this point are an Arcam Solo, Linn Music Classik and (your suggestion here.) Other thoughts are along the lines of an NAD receiver and Oppo player. Not sure about the speakers; have entertained some Totem Arros or Quad 22L's. Mind you...the man has never owned a high end or mid-fi set up, and he positively drools when he visits and listens to my system. Time for him to have this kind of joy in his home. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
128x128mdrummer01
Buy something new from a reputable dealer. Can't go wrong with anything you mention as long as the service /support is available.

What is in your system that he drools over? Just get him something that resembles what he has seen and heard and liked and that you can help him learn to operate properly without issue.

If you think hearing loss may be a problem, consider only more efficient speaks, like Klipsch, etc. The smaller less expensive models in the Klipsch reference line cost only a few hundred and sound great even when I've heard them on fairly standard electronics at BEst Buy.
Look at the Music Hall Trio. An all-in-one setup but i have the MH CD25.2 and like the sound
I've found that one of the keys with introducing technology to seniors is getting the best possible ease of use. As people get older, it's very difficult for them to learn a new system for doing things. When my folks' VCR died several years ago, I was willing to pay more to get it fixed than a new one cost just because I knew they'd have trouble learning to operate a new one.
Kudos to you and to dad; music really enriches one's life. I would recommend the NAD music system, with the integral CD player. It's at the bottom of the page here:

http://nadelectronics.com/products/hifi-receivers

Only $500.00 sans speakers. Hook up some nice, sensitive speakers by Paradigm or PSB and dad is on his way! High end for under $1000.00.

Best of luck with this project.