ARC LS26 versus Cary SLP-05

I am trying to figure out a preamp for a system that I am putting together. While I know I may have to do some selling and swapping to get the right fit, I am trying to minimize the amount of that I have to do. Here is the system: Magnepan 20.1 (on order), Cary 500MB (500w/ch solid state monoblocks), Cary 306 Professional SACD/CD player, and amp tbd. I have a local ARC dealer (from whom I am buying the Maggies) who can arrange an in house tryout for an ARC LS17 as he has that in stock, but not the 26 which seems like is universally praised. I do like the sound of the LS17 as I heard it being fed by a dcs stack ($50,000!). Anyway, I listen to primarily classical (all sorts) with some jazz thrown in. I have extensive experience in live classical music performance (as a participant) and value sound that is musical, lifelike, not harsh in the highs, and with a realistic soundstage (one of the main attractions of the maggies). Price seems about equal for these two units on the used market. I could buy a Cary, audition an LS17, and sell the Cary if I liked the ARC better, but then I would feel guilty not buying from the ARC dealer and, of course, then the LS26 would be more $$. Anyway, thanks for any thoughts.
luvwine
Both of them are great preamplifier, and have their own house sound. I had a chance to compare LS-17 and Cary SLP-98 "A" to "B", and found ARC sound a little bit dry and analytical to my taste, Cary is more sweet. I ended up with Cary SLP-05 from Audiogon.
I'd suggest to find a way to audition both (not necessarily in your house).
I can not give you advice about money and your dealing with dealers.
BTW, what did you do with your EAD? My Ovation in the attic now.
Well, I actually have two EAD's, an Ovation and a Noble Electronics modded classic Signature with a gold front. I am debating which EAD to sell and the other will be upstairs with the surround sound five channel (Vienna Acoustics Beethoven mains)and TV setup. The Ovation is less good sonically, but it uses conventional remote options and thus it can be programmed into our universal remote. The Signature uses the old heavy black remote that for whatever reason cannot be programmed into a universal remote. My wife likes the convenience of the universal remote, and for HT, the sound is less crucial than for stereo. I really think that the Signature is a terrific sounding unit and makes for a nearly ideal combination HT/stereo piece. Still, it will not process anything higher than DTS and HDCD formats and has no analog pass throughs to allow SACD resolution or the new DD/DTS formats either. Thus, while a classic unit, it is a bit limiting since I want to explore SACD, 24/96 and 24/192 audio and cannot do that on the EAD. I will compare the EAD Signature with the new units on red label to see how it holds up. Do you know Greg Palma at Noble Electronics? He is a great guy and a fabulous resource for all things EAD.
Given the acclaim here for the LS26. I would ask how many of those proponents for it use it with SS amps, as your intention is to do just that?

I'm sure not ragging here on the mentions, just bringing this up as none have said they pair their 26 with SS + panels.

For myself, the whole deal is a mix with a desired end result. If pure tube sound with speed and resolution are key for you, more so than full remote control functionality, I'd look for a Thor TA 1000 MK II for just over half of that $4K tag, or less, and as some have said, "Never look back". 4 tubes... outboard power supply... and remote vol. outstanding sound, regardless the genre, with SS or tube. Albeit without trying Maggies on the end, I can only speculate there, but it has tons of speed, and harmonic truth.

I found it superior to the Better CJ models, C5, C6, and Cary 05. I've not heard the AR. Functionality is limited. Mark Michelson had one and only traded for a sideways step by going with a VTL 7.5, saying the 7.5 wasn't truly better, just different, and had more remote functionality... source switching, phase, on/off...

Given the 7.5's entry fee and rep, that is saying something.

if truly balanced operation is desired and not psuedo balanced, the BAT vk51SE are super preamps according to the owners I've spoken with privately. it also is fully functioning via remote.

A VAC ren MK II or Jotis preamps could do well for you too. I've seen them in that range before.
I've just added an LS-26 to my system, running it into a 150.2. Simply fantastic. I would echo what has been said here and elsewhere--the LS-26 is a beautifully made, well designed, great sounding preamp. Having said that, I have found that pairing components from like manufacturers has it's benefits and so would advise you to look carefully at the Cary.