Krell Power Consumption

Hi,

I'm a bit new to ultra high end. I'm considering a Krell Evolution 402. One thing that jumps out at me is the power consumption in standby. The manual says it draws over 300 watts in stand by and recommends that you leave it on all the time. 300 watts 24/7. Good grief. Is this bogus or just the price you pay for a serious amplifier?

thanks for any advise.
Ag insider logo xs@2xwrf
I am amazed!
Owned FPB 600c and KPS 25sc, sold teh combo and bought 700cx + KCT and KPS 28c. I liked the 700cx and KCT, not KPS 28c (sadly) though. Still, i have not heard EVO line in my home system, but i thought it was more musical than cx series. Weird EVOlution i must say!
I would like to hear 700cx + KCT with ARC CD8.
Good info guys.
Also would like to hear the latest top of the line Jeff Rowland power + pre.
300 WATTS at standby - is that the same as 3- 100W light bulbs being left on? Can't see where that would cost too much?
Maybe $0.15 per kW/hr is typical rate, which is 4.5 cents per hour, or $1.08 per day, which works out to about $33 / month and $400 / year.

Not everyone will be comfortable with that, but of course if you can afford the big Krells, you probably won't bat an eye.
Do the math.

.37kw X $.16/kwh X 24hr/day X 365 day/year = $518/year

In ten years that's $5180 at today prices, more as electricity costs go up.

Ken
Here in Southern California our power is very expensive.
While my first 280kwh or so is at about 0.15$/kwh, once I'm above that point, my rates go in 2 tiers. The highest marginal rate is about 0.20$kwh and I expect that to go UP since we now have rat-fink electronic meters that can be programmed for different rates at different times of day.

At 7.2kwh/ day, the Krell is wacky expensive to run. My current usage is about 450kwh/month to which the krell would add about 50%. That's even MORE than the 20 year old 'fridge I just junked out in favor of a unit rated at about 450kwh/year.

I use slightly different numbers to get to agreement with Ken.