B&K Reference amps ... Opinions please

Hmmm... These amps get very little discussion, and I'd love to know why. I understand how they were marketed, one step up from products like NAD and such, but I'd like to hear more than just a general opinion if possible.... What were their strengths and weaknesses ? How would you catagorize their overall sound ? Do they have any strong inherant attributes ? I'm speaking of the Reference series, such as the EX4420 and such.
Thanks for your opinions.
timtim
I liked them. I heard my sonus faber grand pianos demo'd at magnolia hifi using a b&k ref 2 channel amp(one of the silver ones 200 watts per channel at 8ohms). Sounded amazing and was a great match with the sonus fabers. Sounded very tube like but still had very good low end which is hard to do with the sonus fabers imho. I believe they had high current capabilitys which helped a lot. I don't really understand why these amps don't get more attention.
i had a 4420 for a number of years. Very good for the money but not the ultimate in clarity.

They are euphonic (soft highs) and are somewhat dark sounding.

I used mine with Paradigm Studio 60v2's a few years back.

I replaced mine with Classe CA150 which was a lot cleaner and had more bass.

Then I went another way and replaced my speakers to Totem Hawks and simplified the system by using a Simaudio I5 integrated with them.

Being audiophiles, I think our tastes evolve and change.
I really enjoy my B&K Ref.4430(200w/ch)3 channel. I am currently powering a pair of Klipsch RF-63's and an RC-64. IMO, B&K's amps are on the warm/nuetral side which mate very well with the Klipsch's horn tweeters. I think the B&K sounds even better with my Klipsch Forte's.

Bill
Ah hah !!! This is what i am looking for. You see, I'm using speakers that are a tad on the warmer side of things, and have been considering amplification that is NOT on the warmer side .... and now a couple of you have mentioned B&K as being warm with soft highs. I am using B&K Reference amps at this time.
But now, considering their MIGHTY "bang for the buck" pricing, what kind of amplification should I look towards for cleaner, airier highs, but without loosing the tight, controlled bass, that will not break me ? The Stratus series speakers NEED current. ( There are no 2ch McCormack DNA 225s for sale at this time ) rats ....
I liked them. I heard my sonus faber grand pianos demo'd at magnolia hifi using a b&k ref 2 channel amp(one of the silver ones 200 watts per channel at 8ohms). Sounded amazing and was a great match with the sonus fabers. Sounded very tube like but still had very good low end which is hard to do with the sonus fabers imho. I believe they had high current capabilitys which helped a lot. I don't really understand why these amps don't get more attention.