A phono amp that beats the MFA Magus's phono?

I've been using the phono stage on my MFA Magus for the last year and, overall, I like it pretty well, but I'm wondering if I could get more out of a dedicated phono amp. Can anyone suggest a stand-alone phono amp that would improve over the sound of the Magus's phono stage? I'm hoping to buy in the 1k-2k range, used.

The Magus is part of a small phono-only system that includes Wright Monoblocks (3.5 watts), a Rega P5 TT with a Koetsu Black cart, and Reference 3a MM DeCapo i speakers bi-wired with Kimber Kable 4TC cable. It's a small, sensitive, all-tube system that has a lot of air, tight but somewhat thin bass, and slightly etched-sounding highs. The mids sound nicely liquid to my ears. This is my second system, and it's in a small office (10x8) with wood floors and walls.

One possibility is the EAR 834P. It has volume controls, which would be nice, because then I could take the Magus out of the signal path altogether, since I only use a TT in this system. I've never heard an 834P though, and there are no high end audio stores within 90 miles of where I live, so my chances for auditioning gear are rare.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
128x128klein_rogge
i have been happy with my magus a-2 for 22 years. great phono section & tube rolling allowed. my mods from bill jones, former builder of moore/franklin's luminessence amps. i use sumikos black bird mc but that's 2 mv.
This is of high interest to me as I also have an aging Magus and have contemplated getting it upgraded by Scott Franklin as far back as 2005 given my attachment to the unit. I have however not proceeded as I'm not certain the upgrade cost will better a Rogue Ares for not much more, or perhaps an ARC PH6 or PH8. Admittedly the ARC units exceed the upgrade cost of the Magus. Any comparative audition experiences with these units?
The main issue that I see with your system is that the Koetsu Black is too good a cartridge for the Rega P5 - it is starting to show the shortcomings in the arm. This is a common mistake made by many folk on this forum. Its like putting NASCAR tires on a tractor and expecting it to go round a racetrack.
I own a Koetsu Black - have had 2 plus Koetsu Red's Onyx's etc - they sound best with tube preamps loaded at 47k exactly as Allen Wright suggested.
The EAR 834 has a natural easy sound and you would not be disappointed. However my suggestion would be to get your Magus serviced and get the coupling capacitors upgraded - this will get a big improvement out of the existing preamp.
The passive linestage in the MFA should not be a problem with dynamics because the valve power amps you are using have a very high input sensitivity.
Some of the Magus preamps had a step in the EQ curve (at 50KHz) that results in the phono sounding bright. Its easy to fix it as it involves removal of a couple of EQ parts.