Bryston 28B SST

For those of you who have heard the new Bryston 28B SSTs - are they as good as the reviews I have read? From reading these reviews I almost get the impression they can drive any speaker from a highly efficient horn to an inefficient planar speaker and sound great. Are they a major leap from the 14B or 7B or just a bit better?
128x128mmarshall
I have a 14B-SST2 (latest transformer and all 'trickle down' improvements of the 28) and a 14B-ST (which is the first of the SST design amps). The 14B-SST2 has a clear, neutral character with noticeably tauter/extended top end and a more organised presentation than the older 14B. The speakers driven are PMC MB2 (passive, with 14B-SST2 on mid/tweet and 14B-ST on bass) and Infinity Prelude MTS (14B-SST2 for column, active woofer); the design philosophy of both speakers is loosely in line with Bryston's own, and both accordingly have good synergy with Bryston. I have tried a few different amps with these speakers, some of which initially sound impressive (big soundstage, big bass etc). However, the effect of reverting to the Bryston is typically the proverbial 'lifting of a veil' and a less exaggerated, more neutral, and clearer 'window' into the recording (slightly leaner as well). I should also emphasise that Bryston's warranty and James Tanner's customer service are remarkable, so owning Bryston gear is a fuss and headache free experience.

I should add that I have also tried a few different pre-amps with these amps. With the PMC MB2s especially, the Bryston BP26 works the best, as it controls the frequency extremes well and the synergy of all-Bryston equipment results in a more musically engaging presentation. (A couple of tube pre's added additional texture, but took away control). I also use the BCD-1 as my CDP. My experience re ARC and Bryston is a bit different to most other users, perhaps given the character of the MB2s - an ARC LS26 in my system was more veiled and a bit 'loose' in the bass compared to the BP26.

In summary, these latest products by Bryston work very well with my speakers, and I have no foreseeable plans of changing them. As noted by someone else above, there is a break-in period if purchased new; out of the box, the equipment sounded a bit rough, and became smooth and clear with use.
I would have to disagree with the observation that Levinson gear beats the 28's in every way. My personal experience is just the reverse - I replaced the Levinson 432 monoblocks with the 28BSST's in my system and the latter pair are just so much better in terms of dynamics, bass definition, midrange palpability and highs that are very refined for such monstrous power ratings. My speakers then were MBL 121's which were very difficult to drive and needed the heft of the 28's to open up. When I changed my speakers to the Vienna Acoustics The Music, which were more sensitive and an easier load, you would think it would be overkill but no, they sang very well together. The MBL's sound whitish and bright when pushed but not The Music - they sound better with higher powered amps and the 28's are just the ticket for harmonious synergy.
The system I'm using now consists of Revel Salon 1's , Ayre KXR preamp , Transparent Ultra speaker cables , Levinson 360S D.A.C. , Madrigal interconnects , Shunyata V-Rays and power cords , P.S. audio soloists for pre conditioning and power amps , second amp Luxman M117 bridged for passive sub , (18 inch in wall ), stand is also built into the wall ,shelfs are 1inch mdf laminated to 1inch of oak a layer of butal and Black Diamond shelfs on top . Two dedicated 20 ampers and some room tunes . No I do not know may hours were on the 28's but they were the salon's in house demo's, and I had herd them there myself on several visit's , so there was lots of time on them . I do not know when they were used last . I also tryed N.B.S. and transparent balenced interconects, that were hanging about .also tryed pluging them directly into the wall , that made them worse . Don't get me wrong I liked the 28's , but the # 431 did it for me , and keep in mind the hifi has been built around and voiced using the # 431 .
Mmarshall

After heaving read the favorable review in TAS by HP on the 28s I just had to find out for myself.
Borrowed the local dealers newest pair of 28s back in March of this year. They were burning in at the store for over 3 weeks 24/7 before they would loan them to me.
At the time I was looking for a solid state amp to have in my system along with my Wyetech Topaz SET 211.

The Brystons were going to replace my ML 33s and the ASR Emitter II Exclusive Version Blue.
Had the mono's in my system for over a week and a half.
Did not buy them, not very open nor did I find them dynamic.
The sound stage was flat by comparison to the previous SS amps.
By bringing the 28s into my home I can listen in my own room with my own set up.
The amps were driving my Maxx II's which are quite efficient.
Never had a chance to compare them to their smaller siblings.
Best to audition them yourself for a demo, then you can draw your own conclusion.

Really your best bet.

I also posted this on Canuckmart.ca back in March and April.

Take care and good luck,
There is more to it than just your amps, what's feeding them up the line along with cables.

Never mind your room and set-up.

There are going to be a allot of different opinions, just read above and mine, some threads making you think that a specific amp outperforms another.

This one had me chuckling;

"not very open nor did I find them dynamic."

Good luck to you it's the joys of this ever ending hobby of ours so it's best that you try but when I read such a statement sounds like they were being choked and there was most defiantely something else going on and not the fault of the amps.

F.Y.I. I replaced CAT Sig. JL3 MK2 mono's which list for $40K with Bryston 28 Squared driving my MBL 101e's, also had the MBL 9011 and 9008 mono which are crazy money, Pass X600.5's and prefer the Bryston's. I do like the Bryston's paired up with a tube pre, mine being the VAC Sig. MK2a.