Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Patrick, I suggest audition the PP with the Syrah, my concern is that PP does not always work well with triode tube gear. PP is great with digital equipment. However it is all personal preference. Just my 2 cents.
Patrick,

There are a couple of ways I look at this situation.

Mick apparently keeps a book on orders and builds them in the order they come in. The extended wait could be due to Mick slowing down production to make sure there are no QC issues with any new units.

Another possibility is since Mick builds several different preamps and amps, the more expensive units (read: more profitable units) may get pulled out of line and built first. For our sake I hope not, but as a businessman, it would be very tempting to make the most money as fast as you could. And I am not sure there would be anything unethical about it as long as no promises were made to anyone about a specific delivery time. Mick has always been sufficiently vague about delivery time and I can't fault him for that. He is a one man band and delivery promises are often difficult to keep, especially when there is great demand for your services.

But for all of us who are waiting, I just hope the wait is worth it. If I receive a first-class preamp with first-class sound and no QC issues, the wait will be no big deal. And if I didn't have confidence that my expectations would be met....eventually.... then I wouldn't have ordered anything from Mick in the first place.

Aloha,

Warren
Wsin,
thanks for the tip. I'll, of course, try it both ways.
Warren,
I really think it will have been worth the wait. Of course I want Mick to take all the time he neebs to do a fine job.
Cheers,
Patrick
I place high value in the Audiogon discussion Forum, and when I see so much aclaim for Mick's Supratek preamps I find it hard to resist. So I didn't resist and have joined the group with an order for the Syrah.
This preamp will join the Air Tight ATM3 amps, which I hope will be a good fit. I sold the ARC Ref. 1 as it offered a bright sound with this combination.
Mick advises the wait is now 4 months for delivery!
---- Wating patiently----
Steve Noble
Noble110 - what speakers will you be using in your setup? I also own a "Air Tight" but mine is the ATM-2. I expect my "Chardonney" to arrive shortly since I just past the 3-month marker. The speakers I'm using are Kharma Ceramique 2.2, and I use a COPLAND CDA-289 HDCD player as my source.