Sanders Magtech Amp or Bryston 4B-SST2 4 Mags 3.6

Hi, looking to match a new amp with Mag 3.6 or 3.7 and I've heard about the Sanders but would like more feedback, especially comparing it to the Bryston or another amp you like under 5k (preferably less if used). System: AIFF files on Itunes Computer server -> DACPORT DAC via USB -> BYPASS FILTER AT 80 -> split less than 80 to JL Audio F112 Sub and over 80 to Bryston 4B-SST2 or other amp and on to Mag 3.6's (or 3.7's). No preamp in this system since volume is controlled by the cigar-sized Dacport which has worked great for me on other systems. Thanks. Laurence
ldworet
Thanks for all your responses. Here's part of a note I sent Riley04:
Yes, I've heard the 1.7's and 3.6's at the closest dealer. Note, Magnepan has a funny relationship with dealers (since I know an upscale stereo store owner who related his experiences in trying to become a dealer). Magnepan has very few dealers in the U.S. Only 8 in all of California. None in Nevada. One in Pennsylvania in some small town. One in the entire state of Colorado. It seems that all the local dealers (and by local, they seem to mean 100 miles or less -- even with an LA population of 8 million or more) -- have to approve of any new dealer. There's clearly no incentive for any dealer to want another one; ergo, so few dealers.

I'm a former professional musician. I love detailed music. I used to have Mag Tympanis in the 70's. Loved them. So did my cat who used to rip them apart with his claws and climb them like a tree and then jump off them. More than once he knocked them over. That was it for the Mags.

I listened to the Mags 1.7 and 3.6 at 6 feet in listening rooms about my room size. I need more detail than what I heard in the 1.7s (that's just me; I know they're great). The 3.6's are much closer to the detail I want. Both were driven by similar Mac amps/preamps. Some well known recording expert I know said I should even put the Mags closer to me -- eg, 3 feet away and use them like headphones and that the sound won't get that much louder with decreased distance on the Mags.

The local dealer emphatically would not let me take the speakers home and then return them (even if I paid for them).

I listen to everything from rock to Yo-Yo Ma to a ton of jazz to renaissance choral music so I need a speaker that can really handle an eclectic mix. I have a great sub (just picked up a JL Audio 112) so it's just the mids and highs that I need. If you know of another detailed, really alive speaker in the less than $8,000 range (this is my last big speaker purchase and that's all I have to spend, and that's stretching the budget big-time), please let me know.
The maggies aren't electrostatics. I have sanders stats, amps and preamplifier and it is the best sound I could hope for, for the money I spent. If you have to have the maggies, I would jump on the magtech. Maggies do not play quietly. They need juice, which sanders amp has. And they need to play loud.

Good luck with whatever you do.
If you haven't already purchased speakers I can't recommend these Avalon Eclipse enough. An unassuming timeless two way, the most copied cabinetry out there and for a good reason. You'll never get tired of their appearance. They can be driven very nicely with a 75 watt tube amp.

Detail at any volume, sound staging to the hilt, and their biggest asset is their musical rightness. They work great in a traditional stereo setup and they're simply magical when brought a third of the way from the wall behind them with the listening position a third of the way from the back wall. Yes, it's an old design but it's one that flat out works.

I've suggested these to many people and none of them have traded them out. After years of buying and selling speakers I finally bit the bullet and bought some Eidolons and haven't looked back.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1299806391&/Avalon-Eclipse
Ldworet, I have heard the $13,000 total Sanders Audio system in this last CES. The dynamic woofer and the arch-less electrostats mate seamlessly and play very loud. I own a Sander Magtech amp but have not used it on electrostats.

I should also note that John Ulrick and Infinity only had two electrostatic speakers, the Servostatics and the partial electrostatic T-1000, I think it was called. I owned the Servostatics for several year. They were very troublesome. The Sanders are not.
LD,
I don't know where you live, but I didn't have to migrate all the way to LA for my panels.....I very nice, friendly place right here is San Diego was very helpful and easy to deal with.