Preamp modifications - who would you use?

I am looking for a company or individual who performs equipment modifications to take a look at a preamp I own and recommend (and implement) parts improvements and or modifications to squeeze out the last bit of sonic performance. I would like to talk with someone who is well regarded not only for the quality of their work but also for their customer service, and who has enough experience and expertise to assess each piece on an individual basis, and not simply apply the same bag of tricks to everything they touch. Based on things I have read, folks that come to mind are Kyle Takenaga at RAM, Bill Thalman at Music Technology, and Chris Johnson at Partsconnexion. I would be interested in other recommendations. Thanks.
mitch2
Actually, I also agree with Grant. Didn't know the component that was under discussion - my fault. There are a certain level of components that should be left as they were designed and implemented.
01-23-11: Trelja
Actually, I also agree with Grant. Didn't know the component that was under discussion -
I don't know that is is, I just saw it listed in the OP's system. He hasn't verified if the Lamm LL2 Deluxe is the preamp under consideration for mods.
Hi guys,
Sorry for the inactivity. For some reason a response I wrote last night didn't post. Again, thanks for the great suggestions.

Tvad, no I am not modding the Lamm. I have actually sold it and moved on in a different direction - I do need to upgrade my system page but my gear has been changing a bit. BTW - I have conversed with another Lamm owner who has performed significant mods to his LL2 (caps, attenuators, diodes) and he says it is now comparable with anything out there.

The preamp I am considering to be modded is a MUSE Model Three Signature with outboard display and power supply. I now have the MUSE Erato II player as my source and by using the Model Three Signature I have a single remote to interface with my entire system - very convenient. The Model Three Signature actually sounds quite good for an older model $3,500 preamp and, to me, it is largely comparable sonically with most other higher priced preamps I have owned. It has a wealth of features that make it desirable for me to use so I would like to see if it can be improved sonically, even a little.

I don't want to make any fundamental changes but to mainly improve on the basic implementation, perhaps with better parts or other changes that could be recommended. It is based on dual Burr Brown chip volume controls, as used in the $10k Esoteric C03, so maybe it was a bit ahead of its time. The designer, Kevin Halverson, has told me he has heard other preamps that may equal the Three Signature, but in his opinion, none that are better. He may be a little biased, but it sounds good enough to me also.
01-23-11: Mitch2
Tvad, no I am not modding the Lamm.
Thanks for the update.

BTW - I have conversed with another Lamm owner who has performed significant mods to his LL2 (caps, attenuators, diodes) and he says it is now comparable with anything out there.
Regardless of his opinion of his modification, I think my initial comment still applies. I'll bet it sounds different than a stock LL2 Deluxe, and there's no question that most buyers looking for a used LL2 Deluxe are going to want a stock version versus a one-off modded unit that may or may not (and most likely not) sound like the LL2 Deluxe preamps that received all the rave reviews.

Modding can result in definite changes in the sound of components, and often those that do the mods or that pay to have the mods done swear that the sound is better, and perhaps in many respects it is...but there's no question that having a unit modified significantly lowers its resale value because of the much smaller pool of audiophiles who will consider buying it.

Sorry for the firm cautionary warning, but anyone considering mods should be aware of the pitfalls as well as the positives before pulling the trigger.
Well...when it came down to it the potential pitfalls you mention definitely weighed in as a factor in choosing not to mod my LL2.

However, the modded LL2 I described had the best quality upgrade parts such as Dueland coupling caps, Eurocap bypass caps, DACT attenuators, RAM diode bridges, and Jensen electrolytics. The owner did not change the design and he did the work himself - a first rate job based on the pictures I saw. Unfortunately, I am not located in the same area and have not heard it. As you point out, modding includes risks - and the LL2 does sound great in its stock form. However, I would definitely buy that modded unit if it were ever posted for sale.