Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Tubegroover: phoenetics were never my strong suit: actually, Sear-ah would be better, with something done to the "ah" when pronounced that I don't know how to denote; not nesessarily accented on "ah", but open mouthed...oh well.

Outlier, I does know what'cha mean...although at $220 I'd rather opt for a Bordeaux. But 99 scored, if you trust Parker on the Aussies, ain't bad at $220, although sounds a bit young right now...Slurp, slurp.

Yes, I know, just one more outlandish, decadent hobby...
So it's about wines, I see and now I have a completely different perspective of where Mick might be coming from. Mick, could you or any other of the down under blotes (Steve?) chime in and clue us on what is a Syrah?
North of the equator we call it Shiraz.... speaking of THE Syrah, I listened to mine for two days - as others noted it sounded awesome straight out of the box. Better base and highs and generally more musical than the ARC LS8II which it replaced. Set up was very easy, I plugged the rectifier tube into the power supply, connected the power line from the power supply to the preamp and was ready to go.

Unfortunately, we are getting a heat wave here in the southwest...so I'm hesitant to run my tubes amps and preamp in this heat (no AC). Guess I'll have to enjoy its good looks until the hot spell ends.
Tubegroover, shiraz/syrah are the two names for the same grape. Thought to be of Persian origin, it is the most common grape in wines from the Rhone (both generic Cotes du Rhone and Northern Rhone wines such as Hermitage, St. Joseph, etc). It is also used blended with grenache in Chateauneuf-du-Pape. It is probably the most common grape grown for red wine in Australia. It is also grown in the Pacific Northwest of the United States.

From what I know, "shiraz" is the name SOUTH of the equator and 'syrah' is the name used in the U.S. and France - pronounced as Asa suggests.

I have been curious - and Mick, if you're still keeping track of this post, perhaps you'd like to chime in? :^) - as to why Mick chose the non-Aussie version of the name. And is there a tube DAC called the 'Mataro' somewhere on the horizon?

Outlier, I think the original store price in Australia was around A$350-400/btl (which came to about US$220+/btl) but in the 2-3mos since release, it has risen to A$500-600/btl from what I can tell. If you can still find it at $220, now's the time. It probably won't get cheaper. FWIW, the 1996 is also a great wine [I dipped into my stash too early :-(] and is probably 40% cheaper. The relatively little-known Penfolds wine called RWT (similar red-on-gray label to Grange) is a similar wine, is probably half the price (and maybe 1/3 in a year like 1998) and in terms of bang-fer-yer--buck category, I'd expect it does really well for 1998.

All of which brings me to agree with Asa's point - 'another outlandish decadent hobby'!
Hi T_bone - In terms of buying The Grange, I recommend checking out winecommune.com. It's essentially the Audiogon of wine. Pretty amazing site - you can buy just about anything. Prices can be pretty good as well. The '98 Grange can still be had for about $220 on the site. Also, if you can find it, Costco has had it for $159. If you're shopping for other Aussie wine, I recommend checking out Clarendon Hills (their '01 Astralis is 100 points by Parker, and the lower end siblings are stunning for the price - each and every one of them - the best Aussie wines I've had). Cheers, and happy listening!