Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Just got THE email from Mick. He is building my cabernet right now. It'll take about a week to finish building it and then he runs it in for awhile before he ships. I hope to take delivery within a month.
Hello Asa,

Thank you as well for your writings. I had responded with some thoughts, responses and references and lost all the information before I could send.

So anyway....I stated before I am void of "reference" speaking primarily of actual experience of various types of higher end audio equipment comparisons as described here on Audiogon.

I am presently building a somewhat neutral or reference system to me that I can learn and grow from. I carefully chose a Bryston 4B SST Pro Amp (new)(it was to be Bryston or Belles amp., I may try Belles 150 Reference later) and have purchased a couple used Bryston Preamps BP20 and BP25MC. I do want to revisit my record collection again and wanted a phono stage integrated in a preamp thus is the BP25MC with MM and MC select. Depending on the outcome, I'll keep the BP20 and purchase an external phono stage or use the BP25 with the internal phono stage (I still need a turntable).

I'll first try Nordost SPM 1M XLR Reference cables (used) between the Amp and preamp. My initial CD player source will be a Tascam CD-401 MKII (used)with Nordost Red Dawn RCA cables (new) between the CD and preamp. Speaker Cables will be low impedence Silverline 6 wire speaker cable. I will set the speaker cable up in a bi-wire configuration as such:

4-lengths of cable 8.5' in length, 2 cables per speaker. Each cable will have six strands of wire on one end connected to a single spade lug. The other end of the speaker cable will have 3 strands each to 2 banana plugs. One cable will supply (-) polarity and another cable will supply (+). I want some separation between polarities (not handled in the same cable, example, 3 wires (+) and 3 (-)).

This cable is advertised at $15.00/ft. (Shop around, you may find it less :-), Audiogon/Ebay)

My gut aches at the cost of the inter-connects. I still paid $664.00 for 4 inter-connects (2-bal. XLR, 2-RCA). I shopped carefully and know they cost much more. Shielded microphone cable may be all I really need for interconnects for the high impedence connections but I'll probably try those also at a later date for comparison.

I will use existing speakers, Monitor Audio 3i smaller monitors just to get started with sound and burn in the system. These are only 80 Watt speakers and the Amp is capable of 347 WPC. Must keep the power out low! I'm thinking of purchasing Linbrook Signature Series Monitors (200 Watt) from Ty at Tyler Acoustics (looking at used right now).

I also have a new SVS 20-39 PC Plus powered (active) 525Watt
subwoofer to use with this system. My listening room is small at 12' x 13' so I'll just use good quality Monitor speakers and compliment with the single subwoofer (at this time :).

OK Asa and other Audiophiles, please review my "Reference in the making and please make comments and suggestions. I'm just waiting for all the cables to come in now. All items are purchased and all but cables are in (no turntable).

Thanks to all,

Rodger
wow...and I thought that this thread was immense at it's 200th posting.

Well , my congratulations to slowhand for starting this one.

Gee, how many of us have come up with a brilliant idea for a thread and wound up with all of five responses....?

Not that there is much here, but it does keep on going...a bit like George W Bush's Presidency......
Hello Tom,

I am somewhat concerned about the bright side of sound and your insight supports what I'm thinking. This will be the reference to play with. I'm thinking I may have to make some changes to warm the sound a little. Inter-connects and speaker cables have me a little concerned at this time (I'm already planing the speaker change out from the Monitor Audio 3i).

What are your thoughts on the inter-connects and the speaker cables Tom?

Thank you very much!

Rodger