Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Thanks Tom!

I definitely understand what you're saying now. The Audiopoints Mechanical grounding devices (component vibration influence reduction)and definitely on a common buss ground shared on a common ACV outlet. A dedicated 20Amp circuit (single circuit run direct from the home breaker panel with dedicated circuit breaker) would definitely be a good recommendation. I have an isolation transformer that I had planned to use for a dedicated clean power circuit (I have an electronics background). Now I'm considering a commercial product with some level of uninterruptable power (UPS) to provide clean power (filtered ACV with transient and surge protection) in line with a dedicated circuit. Cleaner ACV and better equipment protection combined. I on the clean power trail now...:-)

Thanks again Tom, things are coming together!
Bwhite I have never had the pleasure of listening to a Supratek preamp. And...? Tom
Rcn, I understand all of your concerns. You are on a familiar glide path. Everyone likes detail at first, but later, there becomes a difference between natural detail and micro-nuance, its inta-relationship, actually, and surface accuracy to the exclusion of the former. My advice:

1. When a Supratek line stage comes on the market get it. $2200 used. It won't break. If you keep two years, you can still sell then for at least $1750, conservatively speaking. But you won't want to. Get $75 Discovery black PC cord used at the beginning + NOS tubes above @$200

2. Pass Aleph 3 solid state single ended amplifier, 30 watts but quite refined and powerful. Stay SS on amp for now; you will learn what you are hearing in be in better place to get amp later, and maybe you won't want to. Get the older compact unit shaped like a small square, not the direct mail unit that is a rectangle. Out of production, but will never break. $900-$1000 used and will never, ever go below $600.

3. Get some good, but not too expensive cryo-treated outlets. See threads here, particularly Albert Porter's comments, and others. $45/ ea. max.

4. Goertz speaker wire, copper. Flat, no hassles, can't rememeber model, ask around. @ $200-300 8ft pair.

5. BMI PC's. Ask around. CPCC good too for money, but too warm for you I would think initially. If you can scam a CPCC Top Gun PC for $275 get it for amp. Don't go nuts here. $150 ea. max.

6. Purist Collossus rev. B IC 1 meter RCA termination. $300 used.

7. Speakers, admittedly, very personal, but not Monitors...or Kliptch. Don't think of speakers in terms of "watts" as if that is better. If you want to look at specs look at sentitivity and efficiency. Frankly, I'd have to think about it more, but know, while I haven't heard any Tylers - they look to be a good value - I don't think its a good idea for someone where you are to go too undeground too fast. You might have trouble selling them later and that might deter you in other areas of the system. That doesn't mean Theil, mind you, maybe just not Lowther horns, et al. right out of the box. On Kliptch: I would venture that's a boyhood memory...a band of us weed-head guys had some in college too (hooked up, get this, guys, to the first Adcom amp, the GFA-1, a real raspy blow torch of pure attitude, when Adcom wasn't, er, Sonic Frontiers...Wonder that I still have any ears left! [no comments, please on that last opening!]). What type of music you listen to becomes important here also.

Some things to consider. Others comments invited. I know, audio missionary...

Cello: bery, bery nice, lots of listening to get there; big, rich powerful sound there. If I may make a suggestion...if you like the NBS spkr cable - who wouldn't?! - look at a Hydra conditioner sometime. Also, I won't say it will work everytime, but a Shun Mook puck in the right place is, surreally, well, surreal. Something at your level to experiment with here and there, not too much, but maybe just enough. On the Graham, I have one. Stay away from the older stuff; Graham's bias towards silver-sound too much in evidence on lower treble, and other things. Good dedicated phono IC important with Graham...about $350 for a Hovland, somthing to remember...Yes, set up easy on the Graham, but talk to other Teres owners here also, many knowledgeable guys here on that, ie besides advice, you might find someone else in your area willing to come over and help with set up. (Just to listen to the the Extremas would be worth it!).

Jim2: I've heard the Turks are developing a Mk XIX upgrade to the newly released Grange, all hush-hush and all, don't want to piss off "Mick" and all - you know those pesky Turks. Seems they are still smarting over the loss of those Jupiter intermediate rangers, and still looking for a toy to replace them with, and get their minds off of Cyprus, of course, and the German opposition party trying to stick an EC boot up their quasi-capitalist asses, and...what do you really think? Have you been there yet? I thought what you said was funny though :0)

Asa,

Thanks for taking the time and interest to make your observations and suggestions - It's greatly appreciated.

I will try to catch up with the Teres crowd to get their ideas on an Arm and Cartridge. I was thinking of only getting the newest Graham 2.2. I have also asked Chris Brady for his ideas.

I love the BMI PC's in general and so, far everywhere I have put them in my system, they have bested everything else I have tried (quite a few by now). I am quite smitten with BMI’s power cords (specifically the Sharks and Whale Supreme). I am just blown away with the Whale Supreme and what they do for almost all aspects of the sound. Are there any cords you like more than another for either my Cortese or the upcoming Teres TT ?

I will check into the Hovland IC for the Teres. I have a friend that uses a Hydra and I will get him to drag it over to compare it to the Ensemble Isolink and BMI IPLC that I have and let you know what we hear.

I am not familiar with the Mook Puck. Is it like Symposium Roller blocks, Walker Valid point, etc (I assume when you say Shun you mean Shunyata) ? The Roller Blocks the grade 3 balls is the best I have found to date.

Thanks again Asa - I would also appreciate hearing any observations/ suggestions for the rest of the gang.