Why Not More Conversation about VAC?

As I browse Audiogon's posts...I'm constantly amazed at the lack of attention, questions, remarks about VAC, (Valve Amplification Company).
First and foremost, I'm thinking that most if not all of us are music lovers--and I'm not aware, subjectively, of course, of more, just out and out, musical sounding electronics. And, I don't mean that in a perjorative, 'colored' sense...I mean that in the most flattering sense.
The lack of comments may mean nothing, but it just strikes me as 'absent' from good discussions.
Second, and beyond the stellar sound, if you want great gear, and a great person to buy it from, who better in terms of accommodation, knowledge and service than Kevin Hayes. Like the Bobster (Palkovic) his reputation for building first rate stuff and then backing it to the hilt is unsurpassed.

Kevin is also a great guy AND music lover of the first order...a friend too, but I'm not shilling here, just seriously wondering why VAC isn't further up the discussion ladder.

Kinda like reading Motor Trend Magazine, in which they 'Test Drive' a Mustang in EVERY ISSUE!!!

Just wondering.

Larry
lrsky
I happen to be the person Elizabeth purchased her VAC Standard from.

I purchased the VAC based on their prior reputation of having the classic tube sound, which to me, means thick, round, full midrange, less dynamic.

I own a VAC DAC 2 Mk2 which I have had for over 10 years and have not found a reason to upgrade at its price point.

When i recd the Standard, I was very impressed over the build quality. As Elizabeth said, it was sent to me in need of repairs from shipping damages.

After going through a very rough battle to get it repaired and very challenging customer service, when I got it back, it did not have that classic tube sound I was expecting. That and the frustrating taste in my mouth with customer service, made me decide to sell the unit at a loss-
( I should add that Kevin was not around for about 75% of the time my unit was at VAC, as it was around CES. Once he did return, I was able to speak to him, but still things were missed, balls got dropped again, by his other employees)

But to answer your question, I think a lot of it has to do with their current line. I beleive most of the current products are more on the upper price scale end. In the past they had more sub $4000 retail pieces in their line. There is less advertising in audio in general, even if they do advertise, many audiophiles no longer order the audio mags to see the ads. I also under the belief that VAC does not change or come out with new products that often

Just my 2cents
I'll add on to the folks that the VAC Standard isn't a terribly great preamp. It seemed cloudy to me and not very tube like. Renaissance is clearly different.

Kevin's pricing has gotten up there imo as well. Everything he releases now is 10k+
Justlisten: Thanks for the preamp!! I love it in my system to be able to tolerate CD sound and not go bonkers!!
It is just the right tool for the job.
Thanks again for a nice bit of kit I will use for many years.
Just my 2 cents worth, I bought an old VAC PA 35.35 a while back, and while I liked it, it wasn't as good sounding as I thought it might be, so I set about getting new tubes in it. It had EH EL 34's, and 12AU7's,and 12AT7's. In went NOS Telefunken 12AU7's, 12AT7's, and Mullard re-issue EL 34's, and I'm floored at how this amp sounds now. It's a keeper.

Enjoy,
Dan