KT120 transformer failures

I know about the warning regarding the KT120 filament current draw posing a possible issue with some amps, but my question is: has anyone actually experienced this issue in a modern amp?
wolf_garcia
Jedinite24...did you stick the KT120s in yet? Mine keep getting better...not sure if they've peaked yet, but they likely have. Also, I discovered that some new tubes have a "new tube burning smell" that I thought might be the Jolida frying until I tried some new KT88s that had a "burning glass" sort of smell for a day or 2...just like the KT120s.
Hey Wolf
I got the KT-120s but my 502p is @ my local Jolida dealer getting upgraded. The guy is a tube expert so I trust him with modding the amp. In another couple of weeks I'll be able to enjoy the music as well as the buring smell you mention from the Jolida & the KT-120s. Thanks for the heads up on the buring smell. I probably would have been worrying about that. Which KT-88s did you try? I have my eye on the Penta KT-88SC tubes just in case if the KT-120s don't work out. Also when I spoke to the dealer/tech he said the Jolida 502p could handle the KT-120s w/ no problem. I can't wait to get up & running w/ everything.
My KT88s were an impulse purchase at a local "DIY" place and they're sets of "matched pair" Svetlanas...I think Svetlana has an OK reputation and in any case they weren't expensive (same Russian factory also). I think the KT120s have a little more clarity or something...bigger sound sort of, but the 88s do sound good (as do the 6550s). I guess I'm good for YEARS of power tubes now. Good luck with the mods, and it feels good that another Jolida tech thinks the 120s are OK as that was a hard issue to nail down. It's interesting how the 502 just keeps impressing me, and now I suppose I'll be looking at 12ax7/at7 rolling...it's endless and like it!
Sovtek had made a decent living producing the worst sounding tubes in the industry. The surprise would be if you didn't find you're happier now with something else.

A lot of OEMs, who keep the brand in business, use Sovtek because of the pricing and their general reliability. Of course, these are not the worst as they are a KT88 - 6550s beat them in that regard.