Tubes vs Solid State

I have have been listening to music all my life but have only recently started experimenting with different amplifier and/or speakers/component combinations. I have recently moved from Parasound JC 1's to Classe Cam 400 monoblocks which I have both loved (maybe the prior a bit more) and are contemplating another move. I have been very intrigued by tube monoblocks and have the opportunity now to move to ARC ref 600's. I can also get Mark Levinson 33's for about the same cost. I am just uncertain about the Ref 600's as I am worried that I might be disappointed in the tube sound.

Can someone with more experience perhaps help me out here ? I am using the amps as part of a home-theatre setup driving 802 d's and other 800 diamond fronts and rears. I would really appreciate some good advice here.
128x128gfdt
Wolf,

I like the way you think!

VU meters also glow and are way cool!!! I do miss them also. My squeezebox Touch devices have a VU AND a graphic Equalizer display mode, but I can only use one mode at a time. I need two SBs so I can have all those pretty lights glowing and flashing along with the tube in the DAC, which normally ONLY glows and does not flash. If it flashes, I think that is a bad thing??

Maybe audiophiles truly have evolved and matured to the extent now where glitz, lights and bling does not matter as much anymore as in the past, and Wolf and I are good examples of throwbacks to our more "neanderthal" days?

Nah. The audiophiles have evolved part that is, not the throwbacks part.

Spartan modern gear is largely vendors managing cost and keeping profit levels up I would say. We all would mostly still like to have all the glitz and bling to go along with the good sound.

I blame it all on the AHEE. RaulRuegas, are you listening? Maybe just a little on WAF as well.....
I guess those of us that like and appreciate both tube and solid state electronics must not be welcome here. So Nelson Pass, Dan D'Augustino, Mark levinson and the thousand of other really good electronics designers (read solid state) designs must be like a radio shack piece compared to the simplest tube electronics. Just kidding all. So don't just down my throat. It sometimes appears as if on this site if you aren't 100% in the tube camp you don't exist. Some tube amps just don't do it for me, same for solid state. However, there are some that are absolutely wonderful. Better than the like designed/priced tube/ss amp? nope. different, maybe. Right now, I really like the new Audio Research REF 250 amp. Wow! it is great. But, I'm sure there are equally good solid state amps out there in the same price/quality range. remember, always compare apples to apples.

anyway, enjoy
In all seriousness, the best tube amps I have heard sound pretty much like the best SS amps to me and vice versa. Not sure I have ever heard either sound equally top notch with the same speakers though. Gotta look at the whole picture...
Yea. Tubes are way cool. Especially the "BIG" ones, eh. Now that's gotta be some serious WAF appeal. Anybody out there with just 'little' tubes on their amps? I sometimes wonder if there is a phallic influence in owning one of those things. Anyone?
I love them both. Honestly for me it's all about the music. When I set out to buy a new amp (integrated in my case), I don't have my mind set on whether it's going to be a tube or solid state. Listening to my music determines that. I bought my Rogue Cronus because I thought it sounded great with my speakers. I just ordered a Hegel H200 today for the same reason. I will say that to me, the solid state Hegel sounds more musical and it should for twice the price regardless of the technology. The Rogue will stay with me because it does sound fantastic and yes, the tubes glow.