Difference between Pass Labs XA160.5 an X600.5?

Hi all,

I currently own a set of Parasound JC-1's to drive Dynaudio Confidence C4's. Although they match very well, I currently look for ´the next step`. Based on several reviews I read, Pass Labs seems to be a very good substitute for the JC-1's. I doubt however if the XA160.5 are powerfull enough. Why? Today I integrated my Velodyne DD-18 with the C4's and I heard the soundstage changing when I but my Velodyne DD-18 subwoofer on/off (at a crossover frequency of 50Hz). Apparently my 800W RMS JC-1 (into 4 Ohm) can't drive the C4's full range?!? The price difference between the XA160.5/XA200.5 and X600.5/X1000.5 is however significantly (i.e the price of a XP-20 I intend to buy). X600.5 is class A upto 80W (so seems are safer alternative than the XA160.5).

I will try to listen to both amplifiers on short time notice here in the Netherlands, but has anyone already heard both these amps and if so, what are the difference?

Thanks!
jean_sibelius
Gary, That will be a most interesting comparison and I look forward to your report. May I ask what is in the rest of the system?
I found the Pass Labs XA200.5 amps to be more Musical. I would say the 200 watts of class A sound make a huge impression. With the X1000.5 there was more Bass control.
Gary,

I found that the X.5 really benefited from an extended warm-up time. It took at least 8 hours for it to become musical and listenable for me. At 12+ hours, it was even better. During the winter, I would leave them on 24/7, and they sounded good. During the summer, forget it. However, the XA.5 sounds better cold than the X.5 after 24 hours.

For the XA.5, I think there is some small improvement after 2-3 hours. There may be additional subtle improvements after 8-12 hours, but these are quite minor. If someone was coming over for a listen, I'd leave the amps on overnight to get the best sound, to be sure.

For bass control, I think this can be optimized by component and cable matching. But the X.5 would probably have more "fast" bass.
Gary, Thanks for the update. Are you keeping either amp for your system and
may I ask which speakers and pre amp you use? I had an XP-30 in my system
for a week with the XA160.5 and XONO and really liked this new preamp.
Peterayer,
I kept the Xa 200.5 amps over the X1000.5. They are so much more musical. I find that all the recorded and store bought cd media have so much more information. I mean They sound so much better. My system is in a whole new level of sound. Scary Magical after a short warm up.